Conjunction Watch Monday, 21 December 4 - 8 PM

George Reynolds

It's ON!!!  We have a permit from Chesapeake Parks & Rec to have an event Monday, 21 December at Cornland Park to observe the "Great Conjunction" of Jupiter and Saturn, when they will appear to come within 1/10 of a degree from each other.

Here are the guidelines:
(1) Everyone must wear a mask
(2) We will observe in groups of 10 -- possibly spread out along the parking lot
(3) Drive and park cars on the road and parking area, do not get off into the grass
(4) If many visitors, viewing time for each group of 10 will be limited, so others can come see the planets before they set behind the tree line
(5) "Social distancing" is to be observed

Club members are asked to be at Cornland Park early (I plan to be there by 3:00 PM) to direct visitors and set up telescopes before the crowd comes (if that happens).

The permitted time of the event is from 4:00 to 8:00 PM.  Sunset is about 4:55 PM.  The planets will be getting near the tree-lined horizon by about 6 PM.