Re: Help with Collimation

Richard Saunders

Mark,

Thanks so much for getting in touch and offering to assist.  I'm off tomorrow for the holiday so that would be good for me.  Are you available tomorrow?  My number is 757-621-6328.

Regards,

Scott

On November 9, 2020 at 5:39 PM "jimcoble2000 via groups.io" <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Hi Scott. I was The person who worked with you a bit That evening. If you like I am retired and have done many secondary mirrors and of course primaries. As I said the secondary has to be done in the daylight. The good news is the Orion secondaries are oversize so have quite a bit of leeway as far as adjusting. If you have not taken it out or fiddled with it, most likely it is not far off. But if it is we can place it. Just let me know when you have time and I will get my tools. You can come by and it will take about an hour if it is off. Mark. 757-362-4597. jimcoble2000@...

On Monday, November 9, 2020, 5:20:38 PM EST, Richard Saunders <rsaun58043@...> wrote:

Hi folks,

I need some help.  Is there anyone out there who is good at collimation, especially the secondary mirror?   I bought a nice used 8" dob for my daughter-in-law and it was pretty dirty so I took out the primary, cleaned it, adjusted the secondary, collimated it (so I thought), but in the process I must have mucked something up.  We took it to the Skywatch Saturday and got really nice out-of-focus views of the planets.  Nothing I adjusted helped.  I have an Orion Laser Collimation tool and a non-laser collimation tool and the other tools needed, i.e., screw driver and hex keys, so I just need the assist from someone who really knows what they are doing.  I can bring the scope to you if anyone is available to assist.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Scott