Re: Mars better than ever!

Matthew Cook

Using the solar filter at night is the best way to study dark matter.

On Oct 6, 2020, at 16:51, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

No haven't thought of that; though........... have thought that since Mars is as close as it gets loading some people unto a one way rocket................................................................

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020, 3:21:05 PM EDT, Jim Tallman <jctallman@...> wrote:

Have you tried using the solar filter yet?

:)

On Oct 6, 2020 at 08:53, jimcoble2000 via groups.io <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Have you tried stacking all the filters? Why not throw in a barlow?

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020, 8:37:12 AM EDT, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

Once again Mars looked incredible in my 5" APO refractor on this night before its closest approach, 22 arc-seconds in angular size, or about half way between the size of Saturn's disc and Jupiter's.

I tired numerous filters so here are the results:

1. No filter, nice because Mars is so natural looking.

2. Vernonscope Wratten 25 red by far shows the best surface details but Mars in dark red is very unnatural.

3. Vernonscope Wratten 21 orange stacked with Mars A, wonderful details, almost as good as #25 but more natural and pleasing looking.

4. Mars A filter, natural, albeit a bit orange.

5. Vernonscope Wratten 85 salmon almost as good as the Mars A filter