Re: Observing the deep sky at high power

Kent Blackwell

I have always had a special place in my heart for refractors, starting with a 3" Unitron, then a 4" Unitron followed many years later with an 80mm f/8 triplet,  then a 100/900 triplet and now a 5" triplet. It's fun splitting double stars, something that can be done in bright city lights just as well, maybe better than dark sky sites. Why better? It's been my feeling cities offer steadier seeing. I ordered all the Vixen HR eyepieces back in July and have been enamored with all four; 3.4mm, 2.4mm, 2.0 mm and 1.6mm. It's too bad Vixen discontinued them due to poor sales.