Summertime deep sky observing

Kent Blackwell

Edited

Although I dabble in astrophotography now and then my passion is visual observing. What better time to see some gorgeous open and globular clusters than the summer Milky Way overhead? Here are some of the objects I looked at last night from my backyard in Va Beach after viewing comet NEOWISE.

List: 20/07/18 16” Comet NEOWISE in 16”

C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE)

(Comet in Ursa Major)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 9:34:07 PM

Comment: The coma was very bright in the 16 and the tail extended toward the northeast. Actually the comet was more impressive in the Nikon 12x50 binoculars!

Location: Virginia Beach, VA, User Defined

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 31mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

Messier 19

(Globular Cluster in Ophiuchus)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 9:57:30 PM

Comment: Beautifully resolved to the core tonight .

Location: Virginia Beach, VA, User Defined

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

Messier 62

(Globular Cluster in Ophiuchus)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:00:04 PM

Comment: Although low in the southern sky M62 still resolved quite well

Location: Virginia Beach, VA, User Defined

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

NGC 6293

(Globular Cluster in Ophiuchus)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:03:29 PM

Comment: A small but bright globular cluster. I could not resolve it

Location: Virginia Beach, VA, User Defined

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

NGC 6374

(Open Cluster in Scorpius)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:07:53 PM

Comment: Large sparce open cluster containing one bright 6th magnitude yellow star

Location: Virginia Beach, VA, User Defined

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

NGC 6369

(Planetary Nebula in Ophiuchus)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:14:05 PM

Comment: Annular PNe, much like M57 The Ring Nebula. Responds very well to the OIII filter

Location: Virginia Beach, VA, User Defined

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

Messier 9

(Globular Cluster in Ophiuchus)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:17:06 PM

Comment: Large but not all that bright. I can't say for sure I was able to resolve it

Location: Virginia Beach SQM 18.81, 81°, H81%

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

NGC 6544

(Globular Cluster in Sagittarius)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:29:38 PM

Comment: A large and bright loose globular cluster

Location: Virginia Beach, VA, User Defined

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

NGC 6553

(Globular Cluster in Sagittarius)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:30:35 PM

Comment: Large and faint globular cluster. I'm certain I was only seeing the brighter core.

Location: Virginia Beach, VA, User Defined

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

NGC 6520

(Open Cluster in Sagittarius)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:32:03 PM

Comment: Gorgeous open cluster

Location: Virginia Beach, VA, User Defined

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

CB 107

(Dark Nebula in Sagittarius)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:32:51 PM

Comment: Very obvious dark Barnard 86 region next to the bright open cluster NGC 6520.

Location: Virginia Beach, VA, User Defined

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

HD 164361

(Star in Sagittarius)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:34:55 PM

Comment: Pretty gold star only twice as large as the sun. Lies involved with the globular cluster Djorg 2, which I could not see

Location: Virginia Beach, VA, User Defined

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

Wray 16-350

(Planetary Nebula in Sagittarius)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:38:38 PM

Comment: Faint blue PNe slightly larger than stellar. I could not see it without the OIII filter.

Location: Virginia Beach, SQM 18.7, 80°, H 83%

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

NGC 6522

(Globular Cluster in Sagittarius)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:47:00 PM

Comment: Small bright globular cluster partially resolved

Location: Virginia Beach, SQM 18.7, 80°, H 83%

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

Butterfly Cluster - M 6

(Open Cluster in Scorpius)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:48:55 PM

Comment: This 4th magnitude cluster is one of the finest open clusters in the sky. There are so many stars they spill out of the field of view

Location: Virginia Beach, SQM 18.7, 80°, H 83%

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

Tom Thumb Cluster - NGC 6451

(Open Cluster in Scorpius)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:51:54 PM

Comment: Nice little cluster of stars and a nicely named one as well

Location: Virginia Beach, SQM 18.7, 80°, H 83%

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 10

Transparency: 8

Jupiter

(Planet in Sagittarius)

Observed: Jul 18, 2020 at 10:54:32 PM

Comment: Not much exciting on Jupiter tonight. No shadow transits or GRS.

Location: Virginia Beach, SQM 18.7, 80°, H 83%

Equipment: 16" f/6.2 Dobsonian, 16mm Nagler

Seeing: 8

Transparency: 8