Re: APOD 3/29/2020, Going Deep on Orion

Jim Tallman

:) Word

Sent from my stupid phone

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 6:07 PM -0400, "jimcoble2000 via Groups.Io" <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

What a great overview. Often observing with a telescope you cannot get an overall big picture setting.

Oddly I have found that 20x80 binoculars in a dark sky reveal much that is hidden by using a telescope. The margin of Barnard's Loop is dead obvious in binoculars. Totally hidden in a telescope.  There is an open cluster that is perfect for seeing the boundary of the large loop. Using this as a guide in a small telescope sets the context.

Seeing M-78 in a telescope is interesting but seeing it in a wide field view is revelatory. Without an understanding of the background, the details are always incomplete and deceptive.

It is trend, understandable, for larger and larger telescopes with narrow fields to be used as primary observation tool. They do reveal details and faint objects that only a large aperture can do but they loose context due to design. Try looking at the entire Veil Nebula in a three inch telescope under a dark sky with a wide eyepiece. It puts it all in context.

On Sunday, March 29, 2020, 4:17:00 PM EDT, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

Wow, how about a 212 hour exposure of Orion?!!  Deepest I've seen.