Re: Betelgeuse

galacticprobe

Ted forwarded a great detailed article about this yesterday (Christmas Day), which included a few links and photos of Betelgeuse. It's possible that message could have been overlooked. (I know I've missed seeing a message every now and then, and going "Oh! There it is!" after I've looked through my emails and found it... and then asked myself how I managed to miss it.  :P  )

Dino.

-----Original Message-----
To: BackBayAstro <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Dec 26, 2019 6:22 pm
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] Betelgeuse

The easiest way to tell is find an old picture, find several, of the constellation on the internet. They show how much brighter Betelgeuse is compared to Bellatrix. Then go out and look at it now and compare the two. It is so obvious

On Thursday, December 26, 2019, 4:38:49 PM EST, Kent Blackwell <kent@...> wrote:

Mark O mentioned Betelgeuse dimming. I have never seen it look the way it does now. To my eye it doesn't look much brighter than Bellatrix; that's the other shoulder star of Orion. Betelgeuse should be twice as bright!. Let me know what you think.

Betelgeuse, like many super giant stars is indeed a variable star. The last time it reached a minimum magnitude of 1.2 was in 1933 and 1941.

Kent Blackwell

Join BackBayAstro@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.