Oldest Surviving Sun Photo

galacticprobe

Hey, All,

Mary found this while scrolling through her Facebook page and I thought it would interest everyone, especially our solar observers. According to the list, this is the oldest surviving photo of the sun. And it has sunspots!
Sunspot-Photo-1845.png

I know the writing on this image is hard to read, but it's in French anyway (so it's all Greek to me!Wink). According to the list's info, this was taken in Paris, France, in 1845.

Here is a link to the equipment the list says was used to take the photo:

Also, here's a link where you can find multiple sizes of this image (and the original size is huge!): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ARAGO_Francois_Astronomie_Populaire_T2_djvu_0201_Fig163.png

If the links come through broken - I know some email systems will end a URL at certain punctuation - just copy and paste the entire URL into your browser's address bar.

There isn't much else to say about this image. The Facebook link was just to a list of about 30 or so of the oldest photos known to still survive the ravages of time. All of the info was in separate links below the photos in the list, and the two for the sun are listed here.

This is the first time I've tried sending a photo through Groups.io, so hopefully it comes through. I've inserted it into the message rather than an attachment, so we'll see how that works out. If it doesn't come through that way, we've still got the links to the different sizes of the photo, and I can always resend the image as an attachment (in a shorter email).

"Keep looking up!"
Dino.