Re: BBAA Transit of Mercury 2019 Zip File

galacticprobe

Thanks for this, Jeff (and the other email). This one seems to work okay. Now the trick is going to be me having the ability to observe the transit. (I'll have to read the instructions and requirements again to see if there is an alternate method for those that can't observe the transit due to weather conditions... or extreme dizziness.)

Dino.

-----Original Message-----
To: BackBayAstro <BackBayAstro@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Oct 29, 2019 9:17 pm
Subject: Re: [BackBayAstro] BBAA Transit of Mercury 2019 Zip File

Dino,

Especially for Dino, I’m attaching an older ’97 version of Excel with our data filled in.
I think this should work out fine.  Please let me know!

Jeff

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of galacticprobe via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 4:20 PM
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io

I've got the link for Libreoffice that Jim sent. (Thanks, Jim!) I haven't gotten to it yet - been battling a bad vertigo episode, and it got bad enough that I was at the naval hospital most of Monday, getting scanned and having my ears looked into so deeply I think I felt that light cone they use touching the back of my eyeballs! Still not very steady and the screen is hard to focus on, but the wife said there were lots of BBAA mails on the transit. So I'm trying to read through them.

I think I can manage some sort of older spreadsheet, Jeff. I know we used one for the last Mercury Transit, and I think it was Jim that made one for the Eclipse "light bending" calculations (or do I have those mixed up?). Anyway, those both worked for me well enough, so whatever versions those were should do. (If the version is the same, then it means my Mac's upgrade left something out. I really hate software upgrades, though they are a necessary evil: necessary, and evil.)

So hopefully either that link or an earlier spreadsheet will solve my issues. And hopefully I'll be able to clear my head of this vertigo sooner than later. The last time this happened it took three months for everything to settle down. Ugh.

Dino. 

Sent: Sun, Oct 27, 2019 4:58 pm
If you can load an older version of an Excel Spreadsheet, I can accommodate that!
What about Jim T’s suggestion for spreadsheet software?
Please let me know so you can be included!

Jeff

From: BackBayAstro@groups.io <BackBayAstro@groups.io> On Behalf Of galacticprobe via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2019 2:00 PM
To: BackBayAstro@groups.io

Thanks for the files, Jeff. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work on my Mac, so it looks like I'll have to sit this one out.   :(

Dino.
Sent: Fri, Oct 25, 2019 10:56 pm
Subject: [BackBayAstro] BBAA Transit of Mercury 2019 Zip File
I have just finished uploading the BBAAMercuryTransit.zip file to my website:  www.jeffgold.net
Please check the lower left section of my website and download it to your computer.

I’ll attempt to upload a copy of the file for this group, too.

The spreadsheet presumes the location at Virginia Beach Oceanfront, although the location may be changed to any other location you choose.
You will be allowed to fill in only the orange cells.  All other cells with formulae are locked for protection.

I hope I’ll have a chance to present this at our November 7th BBAA meeting.  However, please review this advanced copy and notify me if you have any questions or possible errors.

Sincerely,

Jeff Goldstein

Join BackBayAstro@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.