Re: Some interesting open cluster/ star combinations for small telescopes

Paul

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 2:37 PM, 'Roy Diffrient' mail@... [backbayastro] <backbayastro@...> wrote:

Fun & games for small scopes.  I remember seeing 1907 and 2129 long ago along with M35, 36, 37, 38 but haven’t seen them lately.  With the ghostly apparition and “eyes” 2129 would be fun for Halloween – too bad it’s not higher in the sky then, but it might still be doable.

Roy

From: Mark Ost
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2017 1:21 PM
Subject: Some interesting open cluster/ star combinations for small telescopes

I have always liked to observe small sometimes dim open clusters especially if they have a bright star involved in the cluster. These are ideal visual challenges for small telescope users. My choice of telescope is my long discontinued Televue 4 inch Genesis refractor. Last night gave me a chance to observe some of these clusters so I thought I might pass along a few that were notable:

NGC 1857 in the center of Auriga is a fun test of averted vision. The 7.4 magnitude bright star at the center of the cluster draws your eye to it, hiding the mist of the cluster when directly observed. Moving your eye away for the star using averted vision reveals the mist of dim stars surrounding the bright star. Larger scopes may lessen the fun of seeing the cluster so this is a good small scope object to hone your averted vision techniques

An easier cluster, NGC 2129, in Gemini, offers a widely spaced double star as the center for the hidden cluster. This has a striking effect. The wide double is evenly matched and resembles a pair of ghost eyes staring at you from a deep apparition. The surrounding cluster is just a ghostly haze not well resolved but seeming to materialize from deep space with penetrating eyes staring at you.

The last surprise is back in Auriga is NGC 1907. Here the  9th magnitude star is offset from the cluster. This is in the vicinity of M38.