Princess Anne Hunt Club event last night

Kent Blackwell

Whenever there's an astronomical outreach event "For Adults Only" count Kent in! The hunt club's event was called "Blue Moon A-Paloosa". The event coordinators invited our astronomy club, The Back Bay Amateur Astronomers to participate.

First, I should explain "Blue Moon" refers to the beer, not the astronomical event. That explains why it was for those 21 years of age and older.

We were a significant distance from the main activities areas, but that ended up being a good thing, since we couldn't possibly have accommodated the size of the crowd, well over 1000 people. Those who ventured to the telescopes were treated to views of Jupiter, Mars, Saturn, M-57 (The Ring Nebula), globular clusters and other celestial delights. Everyone was enamored with what they saw.

We told the crowd to look just below the constellation Cygnus at 10:03 pm. Why? Because they would be treated to a -8 magnitude Iridium satellite. It was SO BRILLIANT. Everyone applauded afterward. Wow, what a treat. But one minute later they were also treated to another naked eye delight; the International Space Station that passed from the northwest to the northeast.

All in all, it was a wonderful night. The seeing and transparency were spectacular, despite the fact it was cloudy all day. The temperature couldn't have been more comfortable. The crowd was delightful, everyone was in such good spirits, and all seemed to be having a great time.

I think most will agree BBAA contributed significantly at the beautiful Princess Anne Farm. Our telescopes ranked first in activities. Well, maybe just under the cute goats in the petting zoo section. One just can't hope to compete with cute animals!

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus