Re: Corrected Mercury Transit Forms

bob414

Why are you whispering, I can barely hear you!

Bob

Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2016 6:02 AM
To: 'LambuLambu@...' LambuLambu@... [backbayastro]
Subject: Re: [backbayastro] Re: Corrected Mercury Transit Forms

Not yelling :) Just making sure you didn't have your email font set to super tiny

You did note the smiley in the "yell" right?

Sent from my not as stupid as an iPhone, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------

From: "'LambuLambu@...' LambuLambu@... [backbayastro]" <backbayastro@...>

Date: 5/28/16 12:21 AM (GMT-05:00)

I had a submission almost ready to go, but not sent in yet, when the first updated spreadsheet came out, so I transferred my info to that new one. I was just logging on to send that one in when the next updated spreadsheet came out. Once again, transferred the info to the new spreadsheet and was getting ready to send it in, but hadn't yet. Might have happened with another spreadsheet update again - sort of lost track, but still no submission yet - and then this latest spreadsheet update came out with the corrections to the equations, which I did say was much appreciated. But it was that sudden change in observing site locations that threw me a little. So...

WHILE I MAY BE A BIT ON THE SLOW SIDE FROM TIME TO TIME THANKS TO MY PAIN MEDS, I DO KNOW HOW TO READ AND HAVE SEEN ALL THE OTHER E-MAILS TELLING PEOPLE NOT TO SEND IN A SECOND SUBMISSION IF THEY'VE ALREADY SENT ONE IN.

So there's really no need to shout it at me again.

Dino.

-----Original Message-----
From: 'Jim Tallman' jctallman@... [backbayastro] <backbayastro@...>
To: backbayastro <backbayastro@...>
Sent: Fri, May 27, 2016 5:06 am
Subject: RE: [backbayastro] Re: Corrected Mercury Transit Forms

Well Dino, next time we will save you the insanity and constant improvements. Paper and pencil is never that confusing and you get an eraser for updates

PLEASE DO NOT SEND IN A SECOND SUBMISSION J

Jim

Sent: Friday, May 27, 2016 12:57 AM
To: backbayastro@...

Another updated spreadsheet, granted with corrected calculation equations (which is much appreciated)... but now with a different Second Observing Site Location? (Insanity sets in.) I'll use the latest spreadsheet because of the equations, but I've already printed out and measured things on the Tololo, Chile and El Teide, Spain images. So, I'll be transferring the location and time info from those sites into the new spreadsheet (with the measurements from those images) since I've already gotten the mileage distance between those two sites, and using that for my submission.

If they really don't care how accurate the results are, then this shouldn't matter. ("What's a few thousand miles' deference among friends?" said the iceberg to the Titanic.)

Dino.

-----Original Message-----
From: 'Jim Tallman' jctallman@... [backbayastro] <backbayastro@...>
To: backbayastro <backbayastro@...>
Sent: Thu, May 26, 2016 5:09 am
Subject: RE: [backbayastro] Re: Corrected Mercury Transit Forms

The value really doesn’t matter folks.

READ REQ #5

J

Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 11:32 PM
To: backbayastro@...

Yeah I noticed the values were way off too but it was expected there would be some error. I was going to resubmit. Do you think the older values will affect receiving the certificate?

Ciao,

Mel

On May 25, 2016, at 23:27, George Reynolds pathfinder027@... [backbayastro] <backbayastro@...> wrote:

I didn't check the calculations, I just accepted them.  I too wondered about the amount of error, but then Jack had said our calcs might be way off, so that's what i submitted to him.  I don't intend to re-submit with the more accurate data.

George

George Reynolds

"Solar System Ambassador" for South Hampton Roads, Virginia

Back Bay Amateur Astronomers (BBAA) 
http://www.backbayastro.org

From: "Charles Jagow chuck@... [backbayastro]" <backbayastro@...>
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>; BBAA <backbayastro@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 4:44 PM
Subject: [backbayastro] Re: Corrected Mercury Transit Forms

Jim,  

Thank you for your excellent work in putting the spreadsheet together.  And thank you Jeff for helping to wring out straight.

The spreadsheet was a significant effort and GREATLY appreciated by us all.

I am glad we were able to work through the growing pains.

I learned how to combine images without loss of data, logically OR’ing them so the stacking did not remove faint bits of data, i.e. The dot of Mercury as it traversed the son.

I re-learned more about “why” trig calculations “work” than I care to admit, as I am NOT a math-head.  I probably could have called Jeff and, he would have found out how little I remembered from school, saved me a couple of days re-learning basic trig. 

I just could not let go that the calculations were so far off, after the Venus transit calculations were surprisingly close.  Order is everything, even in a spreadsheet!

Again Thank You Jim and Jeff.

Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Subject: Corrected Mercury Transit Forms

All,

Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim

Join BackBayAstro@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.