Re: Corrected Mercury Transit Forms

bob414

From the head procrastinator #1.

I did not like the error from the previous spreadsheet, so I decided to look harder when I had time.  Life got in the way, so I was pleased to see the update.  Plugging in the measurements into the new spreadsheet, errors dropped to 2 or 3 % or less.  I did finally submit last night.

Bob

From: backbayastro@... [mailto:backbayastro@...]
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2016 5:09 AM
To: backbayastro@...
Subject: RE: [backbayastro] Re: Corrected Mercury Transit Forms

The value really doesn’t matter folks.

READ REQ #5

From: backbayastro@... [mailto:backbayastro@...]
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 11:32 PM
To: backbayastro@...

Yeah I noticed the values were way off too but it was expected there would be some error. I was going to resubmit. Do you think the older values will affect receiving the certificate?

Ciao,

Mel

On May 25, 2016, at 23:27, George Reynolds pathfinder027@... [backbayastro] <backbayastro@...> wrote:

I didn't check the calculations, I just accepted them.  I too wondered about the amount of error, but then Jack had said our calcs might be way off, so that's what i submitted to him.  I don't intend to re-submit with the more accurate data.

From: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM
To: Jim Tallman <jctallman@...>
Subject: Corrected Mercury Transit Forms

All,

  Just wanted to let you know that Chuck figured out why the calculations were coming up so far off.  Seems I did the SIN and TAN a bit backwards in Excel.   Attached is a corrected sheet, and it works well. He also provided a new photo that is easier to measure.

Well at least we will be ready for the next transit.  Sort of hard to figure out all of the excel formulas on the fly.

Jim