Just came in from looking at it with my 12x36 IS Canons - nice bright core, easy coma.
We've got some high hazy stuff passing through and between that and the moon, no chance at a tail.
Jenna got a nice look too.

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 7:53 PM, George Reynolds pathfinder027@... [backbayastro] <backbayastro@...> wrote:

Since I saw it last night, I thought, "Why not try again tonight?".  So at 7:10 pm I went out on my deck and spotted it in Eridanus, a faint fuzzy between a pair of stars on the right and a single star on the left.  I went to get mt 80mm refractor tio get a better look.  Just as I had finished setting up my scope and aligning the finder, I went to look for the comet (by now it was about 7:20) -- and a patch of cloud was obscuring it!  Phooey!  So I went inside to wait for the clouds to go away.  I went back out 15 minutes later, and the whole sky was occluded!  I couldn't even see bright Rigel in Orion!  Double phooey!

I'll try again in a few more minutes....

From: "Nick Anderson nranderson.deepskyobserver@... [backbayastro]" <backbayastro@...>
To: backbayastro@...
Sent: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:08 AM
Subject: [backbayastro] Comet C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy)

Finally had myself an observation of C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy) last night, from suburban Chesapeake with the Moon a day past full. Expecting it in Lepus or western Orion, I was a bit surprised to find the comet with my 10x50 binoculars instead all the way over in Eridanus. After a few minutes of letting my eyes adjust and carefully studying the starfield, I actually managed to barely catch it with just the unaided eye! It appeared as a faint non-stellar smudge without optical aid, much like how M33 (Triangulum Galaxy) appears naked eye away from the zenith from a site like Coinjock.

The telescopic view at low power was the best though. As seen at 48x in my Orion XT8, the comet featured a significantly brightened almost stellar core, accompanied by a large diffuse coma spanning roughly 8 arcminutes in diameter. I thought there may had been a suggestion of a mild light blue or aqua color, likely washed out by the Moon. Even a harder task than the naked eye observation, I managed to also barely catch hints of a tail at the eyepiece, extending within 10 arcminutes to the northeast of the core. The tail probably took about 10 minutes of study to reach this conclusion.

If this is how it looks from a suburban site with the Moon out, I can't wait to see it from a rural site without the Moon!! If you haven't already, go give it a look sometime this month!

May the clear skies be with you,

-Nick Anderson

President
Astronomy Club of Virginia Tech