Re: Resource for Struve Doubles?

Paul

Nick,

Will have to take a look at this one for myself, it was too cloudy last night.

Looking at the actual chart from Skytools (see attached), it looks like the position angle I quoted from skytools for the AB pair is off by 180 deg if you use the convention that PA is measured from brighter to fainter. Actual PA seems to be ~40 deg.  If you make this change from what I said before, then I can reconcile the numbers I listed before with the attached chart.  I'm not sure on how STF 1830 and STF 1831 are related. The data from the WDS is just as confusing to me. Skytools suggests all are one system.

This would probably be a good one to post to the double star forum on cloudynights.

- Paul

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 7:34 AM, <nranderson.deepskyobserver@...> wrote:

Ok, I think I finally figured out how the SkyTools' designations work out, if I assume there's a 180 degree position error for "their" A and B components. Still completely different than what I got from a different source.

Referencing the picture I posted earlier:
In this case, the A star is in the middle, the B star to the upper left (with C star nearby), D star to lower left, E star the brightest to lower right (with F star nearby), and G star between E and A (but closer to E). The D star is the only one I didn't log, although it was likely visible.

-Nick Anderson