Re: Resource for Struve Doubles?

Paul

I agree that WDS is best source.

I checked, Skytools and it does indeed list 6 components, although 2 of them (D and G components) are quite faint. There are six other field stars 9th mag or brighter nearby as well.

Here's the data on STF 1831 from Skytools:

AB: 6.68 mag+7.1 mag, Sep=109.3", PA = 221 deg
BC: 7.1+9.93, 5.8", 137 deg
AD: 6.68+14.1, 114", 119 deg
AE: 6.68+9.7, 138.6", 243 deg
EF: 9.7 + 11, 8.1", 303 deg
EG: 9.7+13.7, 35.5", 81 deg

There are six other field stars 9th mag or brighter nearby as well.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 3:08 PM, <nranderson.deepskyobserver@...> wrote:

A question for the Double Star enthusiasts,

I'm looking for a resource that provides a description of the Struve Doubles. The system I'm attempting to query is Σ1831 in UMa, which I caught this morning while observing NGC 5585. I'm trying to determine if the 6 components I saw are all catalogued under that designation. Starry Night Pro has it centered on just the northeast star, which leads me to think the designation may only apply to that star and its close companion. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on the web about this double.

-Nick Anderson