From: backbayastro@... [mailto:backbayastro@...] On Behalf Of Charles Jagow
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2013 1:30 PM
To: Charles Jagow; backbayastro@...; Jim Tallman
Subject: [backbayastro] BBAA SOLAR WORKSHOP 2013 ALERT!!!!!!

OK everyone, we are finally going to do a WORKSHOP!!

Once you get back in your chair, I know it is a shocker, we are going to make

S O L A R    F I L T E R S ! !

Now if you have a telescope 6" and under, you should be able to make a full aperture filter.

If you are planning on making one for a scope larger than 6", we are STRONGLY recommending (dictated because of material availability) that you make an off-axis reduced aperture filter.  In Example, I intend on making a filter for my 14" dob (why? - I am a glutton for punishment) so I will basically make a cover that fits over my Optical Tube Assembly and has a hole about 3" - 4" that will be covered with  Baeder solar material (off axis).

The filters are made with concrete form cardboard tubes, foam board, poster board, glue, felt and of course Baeder RG grade solar material.

Since EVERY single filter we make will be custom for our scopes, we will have to acquire an array of materials to cover all of our bases.

UNDERSTANDING THIS, please go sign up on BBAA YAHOO Solar Filter Workshop 2013 data base at:

PLEASE BE SURE TO MAKE EXTREMELY ACCURATE OUTSIDE DIAMETER MEASUREMENTS OF YOUR SCOPE'S OPTICAL TUBE ASSEMBLY, TO AT LEAST THE EIGHT OF AN INCH.

AGAIN AS AN EXAMPLE, MY 14 ORION DOB OTA MEASURES 16 5/8 INCHES ACROSS

 – PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN OUTSIDE TO OUTSIDE MEASUREMENT-

IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT, CONTACT JIM OR I AND WE WILL HELP YOU TO UNDERSTAND.

It is imperative that we get a good idea of everyone's scope sizes so we can get a heads up on total cost, and from that we will be able to forecast pretty accurately what it will cost everyone.

These filters are very good and quite sturdy, I made the one for my 10" Meade SCT in 2004 and it has been used A LOT and has no issues due to wear and tear.

SO Everyone RUSH and sign up!