Re: Comet PANSTARRS naked-eye visibility

gerlach.mark

On March 11-16, I will be in the Caribbean on the Nieuw Amsterdam.
I plan on taking my 11x50 binocs and a tripod. Out there I should get a good view of PANSTARRS. Maybe I will try to get a photo.
Will report when I get back.

Mark 2

--- In backbayastro@..., "nranderson_deepskyobserver" <nranderson.deepskyobserver@...> wrote:

Coincidentally my school's spring break happens to line up with the comet's apparition. If you're looking for a clear western horizon, you're welcome to come out to my site on the Middle Peninsula near West Point. The west overlooks the York River and the site is at best 6.3 magnitude (when dark of course). It's about the same darkness as Coinjock (if you've ever been there) and M33 can be glimpsed with the unaided eye. The only noteworthy skyglow is to the south and northwest (Williamsburg and West Point respectively).

I'm planning on going there Saturday at sunset, and I'll probably bring some interested family members along. Just let me know if you're interested. I know a clear view of west is a lot harder to find than a clear view of east (not even taking into account light pollution).

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/index.php?lat=37.445425754961384&lng=-76.72439575195312&zoom=10&pollution=true&selected_id=1

-Nick Anderson

--- In backbayastro@..., "jason.tackett32" <jason.tackett@> wrote:

This is really exciting! Now I just need to find a clear western horizon...

Jason

--- In backbayastro@..., "nranderson_deepskyobserver" <nranderson.deepskyobserver@> wrote:

Correction: the comet hasn't reached perihelion yet. That will be on the 10th.

-Nick Anderson

--- In backbayastro@..., "nranderson_deepskyobserver" <nranderson.deepskyobserver@> wrote:

We could be in for a real treat in the next few days: southern observers are reporting that Comet PANSTARRS (C/2011 L4) has reached naked-eye visibility during twilight since the comet's perihelion!!! It may break +2 magnitude on the 10th!!
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/185665152.html

-Nick Anderson