From: backbayastro@... [mailto:backbayastro@...] On Behalf Of Derek william
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:50 PM
To: backbayastro@...
Subject: [backbayastro] XX12i??

Hello folks,

I currently have an Orion xt8 and I'm thinking up grading soon to a 12 inch truss dob. I'm fascinated with the truss design just for the fact I need something easily transportable in my small Toyota. I was looking at the 12.5 Obsession, but for half the price I can get the complete 12 inch truss setup from Orion. I know you get what I pay for, but how well does the Orion stand up against the Obsession? Optically is it significant? How is the ruggedness and quality behind one of these scopes? I'm sure the XX12i does well on the DSO's. How about the planets? Under ideal seeing and proper collimation, would I be able to pick out intricate detail on Jupiter? Does anyone have any experience with either one of these scopes? I figure who better to ask than the local astronomy club.

Thanks and clear skies (soon I hope)

Derek

Elizabeth City NC