Central Virginia Star Party, August 25, near UVa

gerlach.mark

Gang, I received an invite to one-evening Star Party. If anyone is interested, please contact Janice Dean, See below.
-----------------------
Dear Mark:

I am writing to invite the Back Bay Amateur Astronomers to the second annual Central Virginia Star Party, which will be held from 8-10pm on August 25 at Red Hill Elementary School in North Garden. This year's party will build on last year's event, which had a great turnout and was featured on regional news.

The star party is organized by Dark Skies, Bright Kids (DSBK), a science outreach program of the Department of Astronomy at the University of Virginia and co-sponsored by the Charlottesville Astronomical Society (CAS). The star party takes advantage of Central Virginia's beautiful dark skies to provide an opportunity for children and their families to experience science through fun and exciting activities.

The star party will feature hands-on activities to highlight what students do in a typical DSBK club meeting, such as make-your-own constellations, fun in front of an infrared camera, and shows in our mobile planetarium. We will also offer nighttime observing with several UVa-owned telescopes and telescopes owned by members of CAS. We would love for members of the Back Bay Amateur Astronomers to bring their equipment and join the UVa and CAS astronomers at this year's event.

Please email me if you have any questions. If you have volunteers who plan to attend, please email me the number to expect and what types of equipment they plan to bring. I hope to meet some Back Bay Amateur Astronomers on August 25!

Thank you,

Janice Dean

Central Virginia Star Party: http://www.astro.virginia.edu/dsbk/StarParty2012.php
Dark Skies, Bright Kids: http://www.astro.virginia.edu/dsbk/index.php
News Story: http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/Students_Learn__128125338.html

Janice Dean
Fiscal Technician
Administrator for Education and Public Outreach Programs
Department of Astronomy
University of Virginia
434-924-5074 (phone)
434-924-3104 (fax)