Ocracoke Island

Nick Anderson

As I will be back in the area for two weeks before fall semester starts, I'm going with family for several days to Ocracoke Island, a remote area in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I will have my telescope with me and I'm planning to do some serious astronomy (hopefully the weather will cooperate). According to a light pollution map, the area is in a gray zone (Bortle class 2), which would be even darker than my rural observing site in Bland County! Has anyone here observed at Ocracoke Island before? Know of a specific place to observe on the island?

This will be my first time ever visiting the island, which is interesting because part of my lineage traces back to there. Ocracoke Island was a favorite anchorage of the notorious pirate, Blackbeard, and was also the location of his death. Through one of my great-grandparents, It is quite probable that I am actually related to one of Blackbeard's subordinates, William Howard. I don't know too much about my family's history there, but I'm sure I'll learn a lot more while I'm there.

-Nick Anderson