Re: IC 5146 (Cocoon Nebula)

Nick Anderson

Would you want to go there sometime? I'd have to okay it with my relatives first, but I could ask when I see them this weekend. I've started to make it a habit to go there on a weekend once a month near the New Moon.

Bland County would be about a 6-hour drive from Virginia Beach. Of course there are darker sites that are closer to Hampton Roads. Coinjock is almost as good as this site.

-Nick Anderson

--- In backbayastro@yahoogroups.com, Garry Mitchell <garry_mitchell74@...> wrote:

Where is the site at? I love to go and see the cave one more time. I have seen it with my H-Beta filter and it was interesting to say the least. When I saw the cave I could only barely make out the top of the cave opening only. That was a 12" LX200. What I want to bag is Centurus A I did saw omega Centuri. Hope this helps.

Garry Mitchell

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 13, 2012, at 8:25 PM, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

Yes, I've seen it without an H-beta filter, but just barely, in my 18" f/4.5 with a UHC filter and good conditions in my mag 5 sky (SQM 20.0). My OIII filter did not help at all, and the H-beta didn't help much either. This is a real toughie for an 8". Good luck, and let us know your results.

Roy

Sent from my iPod

On Jun 13, 2012, at 4:37 PM, "nranderson_deepskyobserver" <nranderson.deepskyobserver@...> wrote:

I'm planning to go on another trip to my 6.7-7.0 limiting mag site in Bland/Wythe County this weekend. Has anyone seen this nebula without a H-beta filter? In an 8-inch scope?

I'm hoping to also re-observe NGC 7635 (Bubble Nebula) and NGC 7023 (Iris Nebula) in addition to attempting the ever-elusive Cave Nebula (Sh2-155). The Cave is often considered the most difficult object on the Caldwell list...even more challenging than the Bubble Nebula.

-Nick Anderson