Re: IC 5146 (Cocoon Nebula)

Nick Anderson

The site is a relative's farm in Bland County bordering Wythe County, about an hour away from Blacksburg. The entire area is rural so as long as I'm away from any neighbor's lights, then I should be fine. I'm planning to drive up to the top of the nearby mountain to get a clear view of the southern horizon. There's an outlook called "Big Walker Lookout" that I've set up next to before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Walker_Lookout

-Nick Anderson

--- In backbayastro@yahoogroups.com, Garry Mitchell <garry_mitchell74@...> wrote:

Where is the site at? I love to go and see the cave one more time. I have seen it with my H-Beta filter and it was interesting to say the least. When I saw the cave I could only barely make out the top of the cave opening only. That was a 12" LX200. What I want to bag is Centurus A I did saw omega Centuri. Hope this helps.

Garry Mitchell

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 13, 2012, at 8:25 PM, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

Yes, I've seen it without an H-beta filter, but just barely, in my 18" f/4.5 with a UHC filter and good conditions in my mag 5 sky (SQM 20.0). My OIII filter did not help at all, and the H-beta didn't help much either. This is a real toughie for an 8". Good luck, and let us know your results.

Roy

Sent from my iPod

On Jun 13, 2012, at 4:37 PM, "nranderson_deepskyobserver" <nranderson.deepskyobserver@...> wrote:

I'm planning to go on another trip to my 6.7-7.0 limiting mag site in Bland/Wythe County this weekend. Has anyone seen this nebula without a H-beta filter? In an 8-inch scope?

I'm hoping to also re-observe NGC 7635 (Bubble Nebula) and NGC 7023 (Iris Nebula) in addition to attempting the ever-elusive Cave Nebula (Sh2-155). The Cave is often considered the most difficult object on the Caldwell list...even more challenging than the Bubble Nebula.

-Nick Anderson