Re: IC 5146 (Cocoon Nebula)

garry_mitchell74

Where is the site at?  I love to go and see the cave one more time.  I have seen it with my H-Beta filter and it was interesting to say the least.  When I saw the cave I could only barely make out the top of the cave opening only.  That was a 12" LX200.  What I want to bag is Centurus A I did saw omega Centuri.  Hope this helps.  

Garry Mitchell

On Jun 13, 2012, at 8:25 PM, Roy Diffrient <mail@...> wrote:

Yes, I've seen it without an H-beta filter, but just barely, in my 18" f/4.5 with a UHC filter and good conditions in my mag 5 sky (SQM 20.0). My OIII filter did not help at all, and the H-beta didn't help much either. This is a real toughie for an 8". Good luck, and let us know your results.

Roy

Sent from my iPod

On Jun 13, 2012, at 4:37 PM, "nranderson_deepskyobserver" <nranderson.deepskyobserver@...> wrote:

> I'm planning to go on another trip to my 6.7-7.0 limiting mag site in Bland/Wythe County this weekend. Has anyone seen this nebula without a H-beta filter? In an 8-inch scope?
>
> I'm hoping to also re-observe NGC 7635 (Bubble Nebula) and NGC 7023 (Iris Nebula) in addition to attempting the ever-elusive Cave Nebula (Sh2-155). The Cave is often considered the most difficult object on the Caldwell list...even more challenging than the Bubble Nebula.
>
> -Nick Anderson
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

=

Join BackBayAstro@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.