That's a great target for Ted.  My other friend in AZ tells me that the dark lane is as obvious as the moon out there!

Roy

Sent from my iPod

On Jun 14, 2012, at 6:54 AM, Mark Ost <jimcoble2000@...> wrote:

Roy, I don't know. Has anybody ever seem that dark lane? Kent or Ted?

From: Roy Diffrient <mail@...>
To: "backbayastro@..." <backbayastro@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:57 AM
Subject: Re: [backbayastro] Re: IC 5146 (Cocoon Nebula)

I agree with that filter choice, given no UHC. Just to clarify, with my scope & skies, the OIII made IC5146 invisible, it was minimally visible with the H beta, and the UHC provided the best view. The long dark lane leading to the nebula is not visible here, only the very faint ghostly circular patch of the nebula. But if you can see that dark lane you can use it to help you find the nebula. I think the best view was at about 150X.

Roy

Sent from my iPod