Buying from Orion?

Paul

Anyone thinking of taking advantage of the Orion accessory sale? I am thinking of a white-light solar filter for my 8" Dob (mostly for the Venus transit). If anyone wants to consolidate purchases with me, we can avoid the shipping charges if we can get the order price above $250.

Also, I'd be interested in any comments on the solar filter. I realize that a white-light filter is not the same as a PST (i.e., won't show prominences), but have others enjoyed using one? What can I expect for typical solar viewing? Would I be better off trying to make one myself. I'm leaning against DIY it because of good old-fashioned fear :)