From: twforte@... [mailto:twforte@...]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 4:52 PM
To: backbayastro@...
Subject: [backbayastro] Fan Mountain visit

I accompanied Dr Salgado and Dr Miller from Norfolk State to the University
of Virginia yesterday.  We spoke to several members of the astronomy
department about a possible collaboration with them in building a remote
robotic observatory on Fan Mountain.

We later toured the observatory and discussed possible sites for the NSU
telescope.  Dr Salgado asked me to attend because BBAA will be an important
partner in the observatory project.

You can read all about it in next month's newsletter or you can go to the
files section of the backbayastro site and download (or read) the full
report.  I've also uploaded some pictures from Fan Mountain.  (Click on
photos and then open the Fan Mountain album.)  I'll try to do a page soon on
our HR.Com website too.

The short version is that we got a very positive response from UVA and the
project looks like it could go forward with a funding request in January ...
then who knows.  I hope to arrange an observing session at Fan Mountain
sometime this year, along with Dr Sagaldo and a few interested BBAA members,
to help evaluate the site ...