Topics

Zero beating / calibration using old Drake method

kg9hfrank@gmail.com

Back in the day we zeroed the transmitter to the receive using tweets.  It was very simplistic but worked.  I am trying to set the radio to say 7.200.000 LSB and the standard (Elecraft K3) to 7.200.000 and tune Calibration and BFO accordantly.  Anyone try this before?  Any step by step instructions available? de Frank KG9H  kg9h@...

Dan Schaefer

Sure
I currently use a k3s and have done it with my v4 for basic frequency calibration.  The key is to keep track of which side and you are using so you know you have the same thing set identically on both radios.
What I did on mine was select a quiet frequency on the k3 and mode setting. USB, LSB, cw. If you have a dummy load use it with the uBitx. You should be able to hear the uBitx on the k3 with out a problem since they are close to each other.
Pick a sideband usb for example and adjust it for good copy on the k3.  Then adjust other uBitx to get the same frequency as the k3 display by tuning for good audio or zerobeat for cw.  Use the regular instructions from uBitx for setting display.   Once you have it check the other side and the same way by switching between them.   Remover the SSB. Is set to different sideband offsets for above and below the carrier.

Hope this helps
Dan. W3BU.    W3BU @ ARRL.net

On Aug 9, 2019, at 6:48 AM, "kg9hfrank@..." <kg9hfrank@...> wrote:

Back in the day we zeroed the transmitter to the receive using tweets.  It was very simplistic but worked.  I am trying to set the radio to say 7.200.000 LSB and the standard (Elecraft K3) to 7.200.000 and tune Calibration and BFO accordantly.  Anyone try this before?  Any step by step instructions available? de Frank KG9H  kg9h@...

MadRadioModder

Anyone licensed and operating before 1980 had to zero-beat their transmitter to their receiver.  It was the only way to make sure you were transmitting on the same frequency…regardless of manufacturer.  Digital stuff just wasn’t available for the masses yet.

Back in the day we zeroed the transmitter to the receive using tweets.  It was very simplistic but worked.  I am trying to set the radio to say 7.200.000 LSB and the standard (Elecraft K3) to 7.200.000 and tune Calibration and BFO accordantly.  Anyone try this before?  Any step by step instructions available? de Frank KG9H  kg9h@...

…_. _._

Yes I remember that with my Heathkit rig!  Oops did I just give away my old age?

Anyone licensed and operating before 1980 had to zero-beat their transmitter to their receiver.  It was the only way to make sure you were transmitting on the same frequency…regardless of manufacturer.  Digital stuff just wasn’t available for the masses yet.

Back in the day we zeroed the transmitter to the receive using tweets.  It was very simplistic but worked.  I am trying to set the radio to say 7.200.000 LSB and the standard (Elecraft K3) to 7.200.000 and tune Calibration and BFO accordantly.  Anyone try this before?  Any step by step instructions available? de Frank KG9H  kg9h@...

…_. _._

Vince Vielhaber

I still do. My daily HF rig is also my first HF rig: Golddust Twins.
Collins KWS-1 and 74A-4, bought back in the mid 70s. Switch to CAL, zero beat, switch back to SSB.

Vince - K8ZW.

On 08/09/2019 10:44 AM, MadRadioModder wrote:
Anyone licensed and operating before 1980 had to zero-beat their
transmitter to their receiver. It was the only way to make sure you
were transmitting on the same frequency…regardless of manufacturer.
Digital stuff just wasn’t available for the masses yet.

Back in the day we zeroed the transmitter to the receive using tweets.
It was very simplistic but worked. I am trying to set the radio to say
7.200.000 LSB and the standard (Elecraft K3) to 7.200.000 and tune
Calibration and BFO accordantly. Anyone try this before? Any step by
step instructions available? de Frank KG9H kg9h@...
<mailto:kg9h@...>

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--

…_. _._

Don--AE4DW

I loved those days..and while the hobby is now a brave new world for me after being away for 30 years, and I'm having lots of fun...the "olden days" were a blast too.

Circa mid 70s...Heath HW-16 as a novice (WITH the external VFO..), then an upgrade to an HW-101 when I got my general...

Haha I also had the HW-16 as my first rig as a novice in 79. Used rocks for a few months while I mowed lawns to earn the money to buy the HG10B Vfo.  The good ol days!

Jack, W8TEE

I got my Novice license in 1954 and you were rock-bound until you got your General. Was it different later on whe you got yours?

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, August 10, 2019, 9:11:23 AM EDT, Don--AE4DW <AE4DW.Don@...> wrote:

I loved those days..and while the hobby is now a brave new world for me after being away for 30 years, and I'm having lots of fun...the "olden days" were a blast too.

Circa mid 70s...Heath HW-16 as a novice (WITH the external VFO..), then an upgrade to an HW-101 when I got my general...

Yes when I got my Novice ticket VFO's were allowed.  A friend built a HW101 and I went with the HW-16.
The two hams that got me started gave me a hand full of 40m rocks to help me get on the air.

W2CTX

I got my Novice on 1960 and was rock bound! Nothing as exciting as sending CQ and
tuning all over the band for an answer on my SX-101!

rOn

On August 10, 2019 at 9:34 AM "Jack Purdum via Groups.Io" <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I got my Novice license in 1954 and you were rock-bound until you got your General. Was it different later on whe you got yours?
Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, August 10, 2019, 9:11:23 AM EDT, Don--AE4DW <AE4DW.Don@...> wrote:

I loved those days..and while the hobby is now a brave new world for me after being away for 30 years, and I'm having lots of fun...the "olden days" were a blast too.

Circa mid 70s...Heath HW-16 as a novice (WITH the external VFO..), then an upgrade to an HW-101 when I got my general...

Don--AE4DW

Definitely by the time I got my novice (late 70s) VFOs were allowed; I quickly came to appreciate the value of that VFO.

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 09:35 AM, Jack Purdum wrote:

I got my Novice license in 1954 and you were rock-bound until you got your General. Was it different later on whe you got yours?

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, August 10, 2019, 9:11:23 AM EDT, Don--AE4DW <AE4DW.Don@...> wrote:

I loved those days..and while the hobby is now a brave new world for me after being away for 30 years, and I'm having lots of fun...the "olden days" were a blast too.

Circa mid 70s...Heath HW-16 as a novice (WITH the external VFO..), then an upgrade to an HW-101 when I got my general...

Mike Short

I was licensed in 1972, and rock bound. I built my transmitter from plans in QST and used it for my first QSO. my dad and I were both licensed at the same time. WN7UHW &WN7UNW.

Don--AE4DW

I found this interesting: http://novicehistory.slafetra.org/1971-75/index.html

I remember a lot of those milestones in the 70s..getting a WD call as a novice (WD8QXM), as opposed to a WN call was still kind of a new thing.

Jim

My wife is still a novice although they changed her call from WN3ZZM to WA3ZZM!