Topics

WSPR no TX #ubitx-help #digital

Steven

Hi all,

I'm trying to sort out a problem with WSPR. My uBitX is a v5, nextion with CEC firmware. I built it last fall and by December was enjoying some success with CW, SSB and WSPR. I was getting WSPR reports from Europe and Antarctica. And something happened. One day nothing, no WSPR. I put it aside and now want to use WSPR again and try ft8.

My troubleshooting skills are limited. One thing I noticed was that when I key down for CW or ptt with SSB the TX light comes on. When I try WSPR everything looks and seems right,  WSPR timing included,  except the TX light doesn't come on.Any suggestions. Reloading the CEC software is the only option I can think of now.

Thanks
Steven - KM4WIP

Evan Hand

Steven,
Not sure that I can help. however, I could interpret that you have had WSPR running on just the uBITX Nano with the CEC software.  I was not aware of that.  Would you please point me to the location of any documentation that there might be?  Last I had looked on Dr. Lee's site he had given up on putting it in the base Nano, and was looking at other options for a linked processor to do the decoding/encoding.

I have made a number of contacts using my v5 uBITX with a PC running WSJT-X.  For that control, I used the Yeasu FT-857 (I have been told the FT-817 works, however, I had issues with it).  The TX for that setup is controlled with the CAT link using 38400, 8 data, 2 Stop, None for Handshake, CAT in USB mode with none split.

The same setup worked with a Raspberry Pi 4.

FWIW
73
Evan
AC9TU

Vic WA4THR

Evan, the CEC firmware allows WSPR in beacon mode for transmitting, but not decoding. You use the Memory Manager program to set your location (you can set 4 different locations), and frequency (3 available), and to set the code for your call and power level. Then you enter the WSPR mode by pushing the tuning knob and selecting WSPR, then select your  location choice and frequency. The 110 second beacon is then initiated  at the top of an even minute by looking at your watch and pressing the PTT. It works fantastic and allows you to get reception reports back on your smart phone or on your computer when you get home with only the rig, a portable power supply, and portable antenna. I have used it as a demo at hamfests, at the beach, and to test different portable antenna options. A very clever addition by Dr. Lee built in to all the later versions of his software.

=Vic=

Evan Hand

Thank you Vic!  I did not know that was there.  I will need to give it a try.

73
Evan
AC9TU