Topics

wsjt-x sync time

Mitchel Rought

trying to get wsjt-x to work properly, what I noticed is that when a signal is decoded, that time and my system clock is off by 16 seconds, have tried 2 time sync programs and if I check with time.is the time is exact, is this an actual problem or am I chasing my tail because my qso's are never returned and the setup works when you test and tune the radio
confused

Ken Hansen

What operating system are you running?

What tools did you try to sync the time?

How old is your computer?

FT-8 decodes can be off by a little bit, I think about 1.5 seconds, and still function, but your 16 seconds off is really bad.

Ken, N2VIP

On Oct 21, 2020, at 18:02, Mitchel Rought <mitchelrought@...> wrote:

trying to get wsjt-x to work properly, what I noticed is that when a signal is decoded, that time and my system clock is off by 16 seconds, have tried 2 time sync programs and if I check with time.is the time is exact, is this an actual problem or am I chasing my tail because my qso's are never returned and the setup works when you test and tune the radio
confused

Mitchel Rought

two separate systems, one win xp, the other win vista, used dimension 4 and another program, both systems are approx 15-16 seconds ahead of the decoded contact time
the windows vista systems has more programs than the windows xp which has wsjt-x, foxfire, and the other sync program, watched resource meter on both systems and they never go over 25 percent usage

AndyH

I use Meinberg NTP on my windows boxes. It's free and runs from at least XP forward.

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm

  73, Andy

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 06:02 PM, Mitchel Rought wrote:
trying to get wsjt-x to work properly, what I noticed is that when a signal is decoded, that time and my system clock is off by 16 seconds, have tried 2 time sync programs and if I check with time.is the time is exact, is this an actual problem or am I chasing my tail because my qso's are never returned and the setup works when you test and tune the radio
confused

Curt

well whichever machine is hosting wsjtx must be within a couple seconds or less to get any decoding - it is the nature of these mods.  the rig isn't involved in this timing - its on the PC to be in sync or else - nothing but waterfall.

sounds like you have recommendations on adjusting.  BTW I have an old vista machine that I use in the shop - was going to link it to my ubitx for JT modes - nope - its too old so its back in the shop.

73 curt