Topics

Wiring question - Nextion case

Mike WA0YCN

Folks,

I have the AmatuerRadioKits 3.5 Nextion case kit and a recent v5 ubitx.  I’m trying to determine where to get the audio input for the audio amp board that comes with the kit.  The picture in the downloads shows a connection on an earlier version of the ubitx.

Thanks.

Mike
WA0YCN

Justin Phillips K5AXL

It's coming from J4 on the front panel mic/key/phones board.

Mike WA0YCN

Looking at the schematic for the front panel board, I’m confused.  Pin 1 of J4 goes to pin 4 of J8 - is that also NC to pin 5 - so its using the speaker output from the ubitx board?

Justin Phillips K5AXL

Yes, which is normally connected to pins 5/2 of the phones jack when no plug is inserted, completing the connection to pin 7 on analog J1 connection. Inserting a plug disconnects J4 (if im observing it correctly). Mine is wired this way and I have audio to the amp with no plug in the jack and no audio to the amp/speaker with phones plugged in.

Justin Phillips K5AXL

On an aside, if you haven't assembled the front panel board yet make sure you solder the digital and analog sockets pulled back towards the edge as much as you can. And when you solder the jacks on, make sure they're pulled forward as much as you can, however much play in the holes you have. Mine is so tight i have to press the harnesses in and a bit of an angle to squeeze them in behind the jacks. The jacks are so far back i couldnt get the nuts to get any thread, I wound up using the old ones from the stock ubitx kit, they seemed to get more thread to bite.

Ian Reeve

The pcb does need a little talc to make everything fit.The connectors I suggest are not soldered in until the jacks are fitted and a assembly dry run done.on mine the edge of the pcb needed to be filed back to ensure jacks sufficiently poke through to be fixed with the round threaded fixings.Once that is done assemble the connectors and make sure there is sufficient room for the main pcb.Again on mine the holes for some connector pins was not in perfect alignment.Hope this helps