Topics

Wiring Instructions for BITX40 v. 3

Clark WU4B

Travel with me back in time...to 2016.  I purchased a BITX40 v.3 without the Raduino.  Now I am unable to find the simple wiring diagram I though came with it.

I've just spent about an hour searching the Files and cannot seem to locate it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
72,

Clark WU4B
QRPARCI # 10815

Vince Vielhaber

The wiring diagram is on hfsignals.com. It's the same for the v5 as the v3.

Vince.

On 07/29/2019 09:04 PM, Clark WU4B wrote:
Travel with me back in time...to 2016. I purchased a BITX40 v.3 without
the Raduino. Now I am unable to find the simple wiring diagram I though
came with it.

I've just spent about an hour searching the Files and cannot seem to
locate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
72,

Clark WU4B
QRPARCI # 10815

Jerry Gaffke

Even though your Bitx40 shipped without a Raduino,
it is the same wiring diagram as those that do have the Raduino:
    http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/2017/11/23/wiring-up-the-bitx40/

Except that:
    1)  You don't wire up a Raduino to the "DDS" connector on your Bitx40
    2)  Make sure L4 is stuffed, it gets removed if you are using a Raduino
    3)  Add a 10k linear potentiometer to the three pin connector that says "TUNING".

I have a v3 board, bought when the Raduino first came out in Dec 2016.
I believe it is identical to what is shipped today if you order a Bitx40.

The only schematics available for the Bitx40 show discrete 1n4148 diodes at D15 and D16 in the modulator.
On my v3 the D15,D16,R105 got replaced with a BAT54S dual diode,
no need for the pot at R105 since the diodes are matched.
I believe there was an earlier version of the board that did use the discrete diodes there.
The v5 board that Vince is thinking of is probably a uBitx.

The analog VFO using L4 is rather unstable, especially as things heat up when transmitting.
That's why your board has a DDS connector.  Even before the Raduino came out,
many users were cooking up their own digital VFO using an SI570/Si5351 PLL chip
or one of the Analog Devices DDS chips.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 06:06 PM, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
The wiring diagram is on hfsignals.com. It's the same for the v5 as the v3.

Vince.

On 07/29/2019 09:04 PM, Clark WU4B wrote:
Travel with me back in time...to 2016. I purchased a BITX40 v.3 without
the Raduino. Now I am unable to find the simple wiring diagram I though
came with it.

I've just spent about an hour searching the Files and cannot seem to
locate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
72,

Clark WU4B
QRPARCI # 10815

Olivier Grand

Hi !
See attached
Regards
Olivier

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Le mar. 30 juil. 2019 à 03:05, Clark WU4B <clark.macaulay@...> a écrit :
Travel with me back in time...to 2016.  I purchased a BITX40 v.3 without the Raduino.  Now I am unable to find the simple wiring diagram I though came with it.

I've just spent about an hour searching the Files and cannot seem to locate it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
72,

Clark WU4B
QRPARCI # 10815

Clark WU4B

Thanks to all who replied and also to Jerry on a little bit of history.  It wasn’t clear to me what I would use in place of Raduino which I don’t have.
--

MVS Sarma

Buy one. Lot of friend boght replacements and original raduinos are spare

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019, 5:46 pm Clark WU4B, <clark.macaulay@...> wrote:
Thanks to all who replied and also to Jerry on a little bit of history.  It wasn’t clear to me what I would use in place of Raduino which I don’t have.
--

Vince Vielhaber

Oops! Ignore that. I thought you were asking about a uBitx, even tho it's in the subject!

Vince.

On 07/29/2019 09:06 PM, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
The wiring diagram is on hfsignals.com. It's the same for the v5 as the
v3.

Vince.

On 07/29/2019 09:04 PM, Clark WU4B wrote:
Travel with me back in time...to 2016. I purchased a BITX40 v.3 without
the Raduino. Now I am unable to find the simple wiring diagram I though
came with it.

I've just spent about an hour searching the Files and cannot seem to
locate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
72,

Clark WU4B
QRPARCI # 10815

Jerry Gaffke

A primary attraction of the Bitx stuff is that it is old school analog using mostly discrete transistors.
You can get in there with a probe and see exactly what is going on, a good learning platform.
Cheap enough that it's not a major disaster if your probe shorts something out.

Here's some notes from somebody who created a stable offboard analog VFO
to go with his pre-Raduino Bitx40:
    http://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/2016/10/hacking-hackable-bitx-40-module-vfo-is.html

As Sarma mentioned, there have been several kits of "new improved" Raduino's offered
here in the forum over the last couple years, though the original Raduino works fine.
HFSignals was selling the Raduino alone for about $30, send email to "hfsignals at gmail dot com" if interested.
Or spend an extra $30 and get that Raduino along with a spare Bitx40 board.

If you go for a digital VFO, I suggest you stick with a Raduino or Raduino compatible.
so you can move up to Allard's firmware.
Use either Allard's v1 firmware for minimal hardware mods, or v2 for more features:
    https://github.com/amunters

For those into the history of the Bitx40, here's a few links to earlier versions built by Farhan:
    http://www.phonestack.com/farhan/bitx.html
    https://amoghdesai.com/technology/electronics/hfi-2014-bitx40-design-everything-you-want-to-know/
Note that neither of the above include a power amp.
Farhan encourages others to build this stuff, develop it further, sell it if they wish.
There were several versions of the Bitx sold as kits, though hfsignals.com is now
where most of us would get a Bitx.  Here's a few examples chosen at random:
    https://www.qrpkits.com/bitx20a.html
    https://www.radiobrewery.com/Bitx-3c-40m-20m-HF-Radio-PCB-Kit
    https://amateurradiokits.in/product/bitx-multiband-exiter-board/

Here's an early attempt at a multiband Bitx, it never did work very well:
    http://www.phonestack.com/farhan/minima.html
Primary problem was that the minima tried to get by with a single IF stage,
making it difficult to get sufficient image rejection.
The uBitx learned from that, went with a dual conversion scheme.

Jerry, KE7ER