Topics

What Happened To Versions 3, 4 and 5

BruceN

I haven't seen any recent posts regarding Versions 3, 4 and 5 lately.  Have they all been relegated to the junk box and everyone is buying Version 6?  Surely not all the problems with these earlier versions have been fixed.  Or has interest in them gone away.

Just wondering.  I have two version 3 units that I'm gonna build one day real soon now.

BruceN / K4TQL
--
"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  -- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Bob KB1TEK

You're not the only one!  I also have a version 3 that I'm finally getting around to this month.

MVS Sarma

Good luck Bruce. If no posts are there, either they are set and working, hopefully. Here and there we can assume some failures due to nature or man made mistakes. Last week i set one v3 that had Tx failue.

Regards
Sarma vu3zmv
All the best.

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020, 6:26 pm BruceN, <k4tql@...> wrote:
I haven't seen any recent posts regarding Versions 3, 4 and 5 lately.  Have they all been relegated to the junk box and everyone is buying Version 6?  Surely not all the problems with these earlier versions have been fixed.  Or has interest in them gone away.

Just wondering.  I have two version 3 units that I'm gonna build one day real soon now.

BruceN / K4TQL
--
"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  -- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Bob Fischer, Fischer Technical Services

I am building my 6th V3 right now, Bruce.  I have one more un-built V3 kit left.  They are alive and well.
Most of mine have been modified to run 20W on 40M & 15W on 20M.  Those are the bands where I spend the bulk of my time.
Built the first one in 2018.  Logged 38 states with uBITX radios since then.
I talk to GA regularly on 40M.
Bob
WB8BEL

I haven't seen any recent posts regarding Versions 3, 4 and 5 lately.  Have they all been relegated to the junk box and everyone is buying Version 6?  Surely not all the problems with these earlier versions have been fixed.  Or has interest in them gone away.

Just wondering.  I have two version 3 units that I'm gonna build one day real soon now.

BruceN / K4TQL
--
"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  -- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Christopher Miller

Hello,

I can assure you the v3 I have is alive and well. I have purchased around 30$ in parts and plan on bringing it in to the light as soon as possible. I want to plan and be ready but will share as soon as I can.

I’m waiting on some parts, but hopefully next week will work.

Chris

Doug W

I have a v3 running 24/7 (except during times of potential lightening) as a band hopping WSPR rx.
--
www.bitxmap.com

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

I sometimes mention my V3 in my posts. I have helped a couple of other hams with their V3 and V6 radios. Others post about the older versions here too. I don't know for sure but I think V6 is the only one HF Signals is selling now. V3, 4, and 5 come up for sale by onwners right here from time to time. Just because the Chevy dealer is selling 2021 models now doesn't make my 2015 model junk:) The same idea applies to the V3, 4, and 5. Much of what applies to one of them applies to all of them. They do have some individual warts:)

My V3 is mostly hardware original and has the CEC software installed. At the moment Q90 is dead. I have been slow getting around to the repair since I use the receiver much more than the TX. I also have other radios to get me on the air:)

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 8/2/20 8:56 AM, BruceN wrote:
I haven't seen any recent posts regarding Versions 3, 4 and 5 lately. Have they all been relegated to the junk box and everyone is buying Version 6?  Surely not all the problems with these earlier versions have been fixed.  Or has interest in them gone away.
Just wondering.  I have two version 3 units that I'm gonna build one day real soon now.
BruceN / K4TQL
--
"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  -- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Bill Lamm

My v5 waz active on field day.. I went back to work so have not got my rasppi and digital interface lit up and running..
Would love to find a v5 board that needs a raduino since I have a spare,  and to learn more abour Doug W's band hopping WSPR setup..

Doug W

On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 10:30 AM, Bill Lamm wrote:
and to learn more abour Doug W's band hopping WSPR setup..
KD8CEC firmware to enable CAT control.  Band hopping is a feature in WSJT-X.  PC interface is how I described it in the wiki under Digital Setup.  Antenna is a myantennas.com EFHW-8010P which works well on 80/40/30/20/17/15/12/10m.  I consistently rx VK and Western Europe as well as the entire US.  Below screen cap is from one of the better 24 hour rx cycles.

AC9RZ

--
www.bitxmap.com

Ted

Bruce,

There's nothing wrong with the V3 or even V4 that a handful of 2N5109's, a pair of shielded inductors, and a few RF-rated Axicon relays won't fix.  Even out of the box on conservative power levels, you can have some satisfaction that you've got a radio ready to build into a home.

And yes - it's been long enough since their release that virtually anything going on with them in the hands of owners, has been done and did.  I can't see setting one aside just because the V6 is out there.  It's mainly a V5 with a different screen.

If you run into problems, we've got enough experience between the group members to help you out.

72,

Ted

HB9FIH

Kalimera - good morning all.

I have since No 19 the V5 Kit. Also the additional Nextion, AGC, and Audio Filter. Also self made clousure, Alu2mm.

Located now on Aegean sea (SV8), soon I will start assembling them (the strong Meltemi wind will stopp sailing for some weeks).

I think there are a lot of OM's with good experience abt older Versions. And all what ever was published (Github etc) will be avaible.

I really look forward for operating this nice rig.
--
---
73 de Erich

HB9FIH

HS0ZLS

_Dave_ AD0B

v3 here. Have had voice contacts to Russia Africa and Australia. My system has a pipeline into Slovenia and se europe on 20m. In winter I run it on 160 (with a hand made air core filter), where contacts are mostly within a 1200 miles. Have worked 50 states overall. Mostly I get excellent signal reports

Have put a soldering iron to perhaps 6 or 7 units.

I pop up once in a while but tire of the same problems which recirculate
Dave
ADOB
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

Don - KM4UDX

Doug and Don (like the SpaceX team) have ubitx-to-ubitx via WSPR!  Like Doug,  my humble V4 operates 24/7 ('cept when I need it) multiband WSPR rx and tx.

Here is our uBITX communal connection map...

Below are AC9RZ's multi-band RX reports of my TX on a 24 hour spread, using three weeks of data.  The big gaps are driven by my band hopping schedule, or the propagation gods.

My franken-bitx is a beast at the 24/7 workload. I started to calculate how many TX/RX cycles you get at 20% TX duty cycle over a year...and we can say it is a big number.  Yes the TX/RX relay died a overworked long suffering death. And I've cernolybled a few bits here and there...but otherwise, my V4 is a monster of a RX and a wicked effective TX.

uBITX unite!

If anyone wants to get their uBITX working on WSPR, just let me know. Happy to help.

Don
km4udx

iz oos

After making some of the mandatory changes and others less orthodox mods, I have stopped using it. Why? In my opinion It works so fine I moved to recover/modify stuff others considered dead or junk (eg. 100w tube 'cb' amplifier). I wish using the bitx during an important contest, say cqwwssb hopefully this year.

Il dom 2 ago 2020 02:56 PM BruceN <k4tql@...> ha scritto:
I haven't seen any recent posts regarding Versions 3, 4 and 5 lately.  Have they all been relegated to the junk box and everyone is buying Version 6?  Surely not all the problems with these earlier versions have been fixed.  Or has interest in them gone away.

Just wondering.  I have two version 3 units that I'm gonna build one day real soon now.

BruceN / K4TQL
--
"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  -- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Bob Lunsford

Hello Dave. I was also ASA in 62-65 and went to Ft. Devens, MA for school. Finished the 058 six-month school in half the time since I had already attended four CW schools. Was then transferred to be a foreign language translator/interpreter.

Good on your QRZ link. Interesting that you and wife are uBITX oriented. Inspiring experiences.

Bob — KK5R

On Monday, August 3, 2020, 8:58:40 AM EDT, _Dave_ AD0B <davesters@...> wrote:

v3 here. Have had voice contacts to Russia Africa and Australia. My system has a pipeline into Slovenia and se europe on 20m. In winter I run it on 160 (with a hand made air core filter), where contacts are mostly within a 1200 miles. Have worked 50 states overall. Mostly I get excellent signal reports

Have put a soldering iron to perhaps 6 or 7 units.

I pop up once in a while but tire of the same problems which recirculate
Dave
ADOB
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

Gerry Kavanagh

Why would I junk my v3? It's been heavily modified to improve audio output, TX signal quality and level power output. Added AGC and i2c bus. Currently adding a second Nano for SWR/Power out and a mic compressor.
No need to buy a v6 when the v3 has so much scope for hacking.
/ Gerry

Ted

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 04:25 PM, Don - KM4UDX wrote:
If anyone wants to get their uBITX working on WSPR, just let me know. Happy to help.

I wouldn't mind some help making sense of the WSPR settings built-in, to give the box something to do when not reaching out for contacts myself.

Call sign at yahoo.com works.  Thank you.

Ted
K3RTA

Dennis

Hi Don,
Perhaps you could start a topic on getting the uBitx to work on WSPR - I would certainly find that helpful and perhaps many others would as well.

Kind Regards,
73, Dennis W7DRW

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 01:25 PM, Don - KM4UDX wrote:
If anyone wants to get their uBITX working on WSPR, just let me know. Happy to help.

Don
km4udx

Paul Parks

Don,

Also would like some guidance on getting the uBitx to work on WSPR.  I have not yet searched the messages or files for instructions, so RTM comments are acceptable.

My modified V3 is doing nothing at the moment.

Regards,

Dave, W4VU

Gordon Gibby

Yes, I would enjoy a WSPR topic also....gordon