Topics

VU Meter from Sunil

Curt

some of us may be applying a VU meter that was shipped with a front panel from Amateur Radio kits India.  I am thinking it may be around 250 uA but I am not sure -- I am also seeking the resistance of the movement as I may need to employ a current shunt.  anyone have any info on it?  if its marked on the meter outside, I have some disassembly to get to it.

73 Curt

AA9GG

No.  But thank you for turning me on to them.  They have some beautiful cases!!!  Not only metal, but pre-cut for the BitX and uBitX (including TTF displays of all sizes)

--
Paul Mateer, AA9GG
Elan Engineering Corp.

AA9GG

D'Oh...I just now noticed it's listed right there in the groups footer...

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 10:52 PM Paul Mateer <paul.aa9gg@...> wrote:
[...]

Ian Reeve

I recently purchased a Amateur Radio Kits case for nextion screen.Arrived very quickly and was amazed to find it came with brackets and panels,wiring looms,speaker,audio and and agc board.The case is beautifully made and is punched for the display and s meter etc.I find the meter strange with centre zero so would not use it and I found the aperture for the nextion to be too big for my screen.I made up two short aluminium strips drilled to fit the nextion screen and offered up the assembly to the case front panel.Carefully centered the display and marked through the front panel and drilled the spacer strips.Finally cut some Matt black textured card to fit the display screen through and a very pleasing result indeed.  Ian M0IDR

[...]

Okay I solved this one with a little research on meter movements.  I learned that a uA meter has a relatively high resistance, so that a DVM should not peg it.  On the 20k setting I got a little deflection - and a resistance of 484 ohms.

73 Curt

Mark Hatch

Curt,

If you are able to get this to work without installing Sunil's AGC and Volume amplifier, can you share how you did it? Right now I have an open slot in my case where the VUE meter should go and would love to install it. I am just not sure I want to buy in to Sunil's AGC to make it work.

And they are great cases. Just the parts you get with the cases makes it worthwhile. I am planning on doing a MarkAl mod and originally bought the 7" display. But now, I am reconsidering the 5" just so that i can buy one of Sunil's cases!

73
Mark
AJ6CU

Joe Puma

Couldn’t you create the same this with a voltage amp, even the same LM(I forgot the type) chip that comes with the AGC? Also, there is a transistor in that circuit probably to increase current” its a real simple circuit, very easy to reproduce.

Joe
KD2NFC

On May 28, 2019, at 10:15 AM, Mark Hatch <mark2382@...> wrote:

Curt,

If you are able to get this to work without installing Sunil's AGC and Volume amplifier, can you share how you did it? Right now I have an open slot in my case where the VUE meter should go and would love to install it. I am just not sure I want to buy in to Sunil's AGC to make it work.

And they are great cases. Just the parts you get with the cases makes it worthwhile. I am planning on doing a MarkAl mod and originally bought the 7" display. But now, I am reconsidering the 5" just so that i can buy one of Sunil's cases!

73
Mark
AJ6CU

Curt

Mark and Joe

Thanks for email. I will share what I learn, as I stumble. I built 2 copies of nd6t AGC, could not get them to do much with my v4. I went back to the vk3ye agc, it works wonderful once its properly integrated. Then I built the s-meter circuit from sprat that's on the web. I should have known because the vk3ye agc pulls down the signal at the volume control input, it's futile to connect that circuit there for me. Yes we need to grab the full signal before its attenuated.

Vk3ye measures current in parallel with the LED. Pretty worthless except to move the meter. But noting led brightness is in proportion to signal, I will try to measure series current. Yes all this started when I was gifted a front panel with the meter. I like the white panel, so now the meter must become useful.

I will use that sprat s meter circuit for some project. Its easy to find on the web. I just don't readily see it functioning with a ubitx with agc.

Curt

Mark Hatch

Curt,

For whats is worth, I believe that the issue with nd6t (version sold from kits-project.com) and V4 has been addressed. Since that is an IF solution vs what looks iike (in my very ignorant knowledge) I had planned on using that instead of the volume based AGC that Sunil's kits provided. Have you been in touch with kits-projects to check in?

73
Mark
AJ6CU

Curt

Mark

QSL - I will have to read out of general interest on the v4 solution with ND6T.  honestly I like the VK3YE solution, its a third option for AGC but a road less traveled here.  as for the v3 and v4 community - I am hoping someone will kit solutions for a fix.  I have harmonic spurs addressed, now I do have some shielded inductors to try to see what they contribute.

73 Curt

KE2GKB

Hi guys!
Yeah we are pretty confident we have a fix for the v4 issue.

As for driving sunil's s-meter display we currently need to get one to see how to properly wire it up.  It should work acceptable unless it's very current hungry which will cause the decay on the agc to be very fast which may not be desired.

Does anyone have one they could ship (paid for of course) for quick R&D else I will get one on order. Though I can't seem to find where to get just the meter.

73
KE2GKB

On Tue, May 28, 2019, 7:17 PM Curt via Groups.Io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Mark

QSL - I will have to read out of general interest on the v4 solution with ND6T.  honestly I like the VK3YE solution, its a third option for AGC but a road less traveled here.  as for the v3 and v4 community - I am hoping someone will kit solutions for a fix.  I have harmonic spurs addressed, now I do have some shielded inductors to try to see what they contribute.

73 Curt

--
Tim Keller - KE2GKB
https://shop.kit-projects.com

Mark Hatch

Tim,

Yup, you can use mine. Where do you want me to send it? I am good on QRZ if you want to email me direct.

73
Mark
AJ6CU

KE2GKB

Popped you an email. Sounds like a plan! Sincerely, Tim Keller

-- Tim Keller - KE2GKB https://shop.kit-projects.com

Mark Hatch

Tim

Didn't make it. I do have an email from David (N8DAH). Should I reply to that?

Mark

KE2GKB

Looks like I sent it to the wrong mail. I sent it to the address associated with your groups.io account. Oh well new one off to the right mail this time!

-- Tim Keller - KE2GKB https://shop.kit-projects.com

Mark Hatch

Oops....  shop-kits vs kit-projects.  I am embarrassed (like both of you btw!)

In any caae, Tim my offer stands. And i found your email.

Mark

KE2GKB

It's funny I maintain the server and stuff and I still mess it up all the time so no worries! Cool lets get this going for you guys!

-- Tim Keller - KE2GKB https://shop.kit-projects.com

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it's kind of related. I am struggling to figure out how to interface the AGC board that came with Sunil's uBitx/Nextion case to a V4 uBitx board. I have the S meter all hooked up and calibrated per the instructions that came on the CD with the case, that is responding just like the instructions say, setting the upper and lower limits of the meter. The part I can't understand is where the first IF audio plugs into the AGC board and how the audio gets back to the audio output. Man am I confused. Has anyone got this working? Care to share how you did it?

Joel
N6ALT

Kim Cary

Tim, I see your kit for uBitX! It looks like I can install it on my v5; not too hard.  Do I understand correctly that it can be wired to drive the SMeter In the faceplate of my inkits case? If so are instructions included for that?