From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Bob Lunsford via groups.io <nocrud222@...>
Sent: Monday, June 8, 2020 3:12:50 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io>
Subject: [BITX20] Volume Control Knob

For those who are not able to easily find a knob for the volume control, her is a quick and dirty — and cheap — way to make do until one is found...

Use a screw on wire nut. I used a yellow one on a previous V4 that I had and have used this "quick fix" for knobs on other radios. Since the volume control is a type of nylon, screwing on on is ease but I suggest holding the shaft with needle nose pliars to avoid putting too much force on the internal mechanics of the volume control when putting on the wire nut. Also, a little care must be used when screwing it on to make sure the wire nut is lined up properly and not skewed.

Just an idea...

McRuss

It isn't just the full kits, my 'stripped down' version has the same issue with the volume knob.  I think someone said they filed/sanded down the back of the knob.  I am still waiting for a case to arrive from Banggood so haven't done anything more with it.
--
Russ
K5FJR

Bob Lunsford

When mine comes in, I may use a Harbor Freight vibrating multitool and shave a few MM off the back of the knob. Or run it on a belt sander (which may be easier and better)... Mine comes in on Friday, per shipper's good guess.

On Monday, June 8, 2020, 2:43:14 PM EDT, rpremo <rpremo@...> wrote:

On related note anyone with v6 having trouble with the volume shaft being too short the knob is too close to case coupled with position of display screw which doesn't indent enough into case.  Final result is short shaft combined with screw heads on the case equal no way shipping knob on full kit will stay screwed onto shaft.

For those who are not able to easily find a knob for the volume control, her is a quick and dirty — and cheap — way to make do until one is found...

Use a screw on wire nut. I used a yellow one on a previous V4 that I had and have used this "quick fix" for knobs on other radios. Since the volume control is a type of nylon, screwing on on is ease but I suggest holding the shaft with needle nose pliars to avoid putting too much force on the internal mechanics of the volume control when putting on the wire nut. Also, a little care must be used when screwing it on to make sure the wire nut is lined up properly and not skewed.

Just an idea...

Jeff Debes

I used a harbor freight belt sander and a grinding wheel to file the volume button down and consequently allow the set screw a much more secure position on the volume shaft.
It fits and works well now.

On Jun 8, 2020, at 8:11 PM, Bob Lunsford via groups.io <nocrud222@...> wrote:

[...]

MVS Negi

Quite right. I too struggled to secure the nut on the volume knob on the ultra short shaft, which is too rough when one rotates it. The Tuning knob is also a bit shabby. Looking for a larger smoother neoprene coated knob.