Topics

VFO not functioning #ubitx #ubitx-help

gustav316@...

My uBitx seems to be working after some prior difficulties (that some of you may recall). When I power on the radio, the VFO (as well as the push function on the VFO knob) seems to function properly for about 10-20 seconds, after which it just freezes and won't operate. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

-Gus

Jerry Gaffke

Gus,

If the display freezes up that means the Nano has gone off the rails for some reason.

First, make sure that the 5v supply on the Raduino coming out of the LM7805 is
a good solid 5v when it fails.

Next, I'd try removing the Raduino from the radio, then power up the Raduino by
plugging it into a computer's USB port to feed it 5 volts.
See if it works better that way.
Even though it is not longer connected to the radio, the Raduino's display and encoder
should work pretty much as they do when it is connected.

If it still doesn't work, then probe the encoder push button with a voltmeter.
You should see around 5v on the wire from the encoder switch into the Raduino
when the button is not pushed, and around 0v when the button is pushed.

Perhaps some other input into the Nano is getting sensed, and the firmware
in the Nano is waiting for it to be released?
Make sure the morse code key is wired up as described in the instructions,
and carefully check all the other wires into the Raduino.

But my best guess is that you have a defective or blown Nano that needs to be replaced.
If you have a Raduino that's only a year or so old, it will have a socketed Nano.
The Nano's are available on the web for about $3.
Not a bad idea to buy more than one, as they are easy to blow.
And easy to find other uses for once you learn a little bit of programming in the the Arduino environment.

If you do this,  be sure to buy one that has the header pins not yet soldered in place:
    https://www.amazon.com/Keywish-Arduino-ATmega328P-Moudle-Compatible/dp/B07D12TWNZ
To have it fit into the Raduino socket, the pins will have to be installed on the "wrong" side of the nano.
You will also have to program the nano over a USB cable using the Arduino environment
on a host computer with firmware appropriate for the uBitx.

Perhaps others in the forum will have other suggestions for things to try
before you go to the trouble of replacing the Nano.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 12:22 PM, <gustav316@...> wrote:
My uBitx seems to be working after some prior difficulties (that some of you may recall). When I power on the radio, the VFO (as well as the push function on the VFO knob) seems to function properly for about 10-20 seconds, after which it just freezes and won't operate. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Werner de Vos

Like Jerry said, it’s definitely a frees-up of the arduino. I have the same issue when connecting the arduino to my computer (for cat control) and doing things to fast.

Easiest way for you is to swap the arduino with a fresh firmware.

73 Werner pa3gyv