Topics

Version(s) µbitx. Difficult to navigate

Gerard

Hello,
I would like to clarify the different versions µBitx.
I think this will help other people.
It would be nice to have a table with download links.
You get lost with links that link from one version to another
This causes misunderstandings about downloading to the µBitx and this is not always easy when English is not the mother tongue.

So my first question is: The softs available on the official website of HF signal (version 4,5,6) can  drive a Nextion?
what is the difference between these versions. i see the value of quartz filter. Others?

Second question: On KD8CEC site, you have also versions. Are they the only ones driving a Nextion?
in this case the CEC 1.2 is the last.

The third question: The Xloading of the 1.2CEC hex is.....a full version or an ADDON on an existing ?-----l
EX: you have an V3 and you change the screen.You xloading the Hex file CEC 1.2 >>                          <<l

last question and which is addressed more to an arduino programmer, have you a script to erase the flash memory(except boot loader) to redo a healthy installation
Thanks for your help
cdt

Evan Hand

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 09:09 AM, Gerard wrote:
So my first question is: The softs available on the official website of HF signal (version 4,5,6) can  drive a Nextion?
what is the difference between these versions. i see the value of quartz filter. Others?
None of the HF Signals' stock software can be used to drive a Nextion display.  The only one that I know of is the KD8CEC software that works with the Nextion display.  Others may have been written.  You also need the corresponding Nextion tft file that matches the Nextion display that you have.  That is both size and model (Basic or Enhanced).

Second question: On KD8CEC site, you have also versions. Are they the only ones driving a Nextion?
in this case the CEC 1.2 is the last.
The KD8CEC software has been moved to github.com:
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.20

Version 1.2 is the latest that I know of.  See the answer to your first question above.

The third question: The Xloading of the 1.2CEC hex is.....a full version or an ADDON on an existing ?-----l
EX: you have an V3 and you change the screen.You xloading the Hex file CEC 1.2 >>                          <<l
The KD8CEC software replaces all of the HFSignals' code.  The EEPROM calibration data is not changed.  You need to select the correct .hex file to match your hardware.  That is the screen and if you are implementing the second Nano for more capabilities.  Which file to use is in the FileNameInfo.txt file in the corresponding folder.

last question and which is addressed more to an arduino programmer, have you a script to erase the flash memory(except boot loader) to redo a healthy installation
Thanks for your help
I do not know of a script that clears the EEPROM area.  IF you load the KD8CEC Memory Manager program you CAN download a previous file with all of the configuration data stored in it.  That PC based program does not work with the other version of the uBITX software.  I would look at the KD8CEC source to see how he is loading in the EEPROM data and use that as a start to writing your own "Sketch."  I am not sure why you would want to do this.  With the Memory Manager software, you can set any or all of the values stored in the EEPROM.

Many have tried to create a location or directory for this information.  ubitx.net is one on the internet.  The files section of this reflector is another.  The issue is that the data changes as hardware and software have been changing.  So fast and with many new features that it is hard to keep up.  That and there are now newer technologies like SDR that are taking up a lot of the original supporters time.  I am a third or fourth generation of hams that are trying to help the new to uBITX hams.

Anyone can add to the files section of this reflector.  Feel free to add whatever you find or develop.  Many will appreciate it.  Know that the BITX series from HFSignals has always been just a kit of parts to allow others to build and experiment.  There has never bee any direct support from HF Signals.  There is a warning on the web page to that effect.  It really is a kit for someone who knows how it works and is able to troubleshoot the kit, or is willing to learn.  It is NOT a "build by the numbers"  type of kit.  There are many out there that are.  The best that I know of are the kits from QRP-Labs.  The build and align instructions are very detailed, and there is a very good troubleshooting section.  This kit is not like that.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Gerard

Evan,
Thanks for your answers
I have the good software because i have already  loaded the hex file from folder µbitxV234 and file µbix_CEC_V1.200_NX.hex. (From download of Hamskey site)

Tonight I watched the calibration videos again.
I think there was some misunderstanding about the term "zerobeat".
As seen on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6LGXhS4_O8
it's more reducing noise with help of spectrum analyser and seem to do several times the operations to be perfect.
I was not acting in tha tdirection, i was really looking for a beat of frequencies.

the good thing is that i perfect my English day to day.
I have not use reverso to day LOL.

Cdt

Evan Hand

Gerard,
Your English is infinitely better than any other language for me other than English.  I admire those who can speak more than one language.

As to the calibration process.  Note that there are three major steps:
1 - Adjust the BFO so you can hear when the carrier from an AM signal disappears (the zero beat).  That means adjusting to the low audio range.
2 - Do the master calibration against a known AM signal
3 - Readjust the BFO to put the audio in the center of the SSB filter passband.

The stock v5 software from HFSignals used a different method to calibrate the master clock.  That method was to connect a dummy load, go into calibration mode where the transmitter was turned on to 10MHz.  You would then use a frequency counter or another receiver to measure the transmitted frequency and adjust the uBITX util it was putting out a 10MHz signal.  The issue with that method was 10MHz is not in a Ham band, so you MUST have a dummy load that can handle the output of the uBITX (can be 15+ watts under some conditions).

I would look up an AM HF station near you that you can receive on a regular basis.  Find out that actual transmitted frequency and use that for the zero beat process.

Good luck on working out the details on your build.

73
Evan
AC9TU