Topics

V6 TX on 15 and 20 meters

Chuck Eglhaut

V6 TX on 15 and 20 meters my radio display flashes back and forth on the display between the menu screen and normal screen.

l use 80 meters daily never seen this I was working the CQ World Wide DX Contest and was working 15 and 20 meters.

Gordon Gibby

Sounds like radio frequency interference

On Oct 25, 2020, at 16:22, Chuck Eglhaut <ceglhaut@...> wrote:

V6 TX on 15 and 20 meters my radio display flashes back and forth on the display between the menu screen and normal screen.

l use 80 meters daily never seen this I was working the CQ World Wide DX Contest and was working 15 and 20 meters.

Curt

Okay let's figure out how RF is getting back to your rig on these bands more than the others. Antenna closer to the rig or a poorer match? Any wires outside the rig attached are suspect. Its a known matter that getting RF into the raduino does this type of thing. No issues here with my verticals or 2 element beam. Work it patiently.

73 curt

Chuck Eglhaut

I have a SWR meter and Antenna Tuner attached to the rig. The Antenna is an end fed and I have the Balan about 4 ft away from the rig. I had this problem from the beginning. But I work 80 and 40 meters everyday no problem . But was trying work CQ Worlld Wide DX contest and 15 meters was the band to be on.
 One person I talked with said maybe my antenna is not matched to 50 ohms.

73 Chuck

Bob Lunsford

End fed dipole should be good for HF plus 6M but some things have to be done to make it so. Here's the one at my location that I use mostly on 60M and 17M but while it seems to load on 160M, it is not a real performer on this band.

Here is a copy of what I'm using:

Inline image

When I dressed the feedline straight down from the UnUn, the SWR was not good and the lower two HF bands (160 & 80) were unusable. The feedline dressing is critical, in fact. Then I dressed it down under the "counterpoise" bisecting the vertical and the horizontal, approximately hanging down 45-degress from and underneath the counterpoise, it was usable on 80 & 40M. I also included a W2AU 1:1 Balun that uses ferrite beads and this was enough to make the antenna usable all across the HF bands plus 6M. While the SWR is less than 2:1 all across the bands, I still use the rig's internal tuner to finesse the system. Keep in mind that the feedline from the unun to the balun is an active part of the antenna and serves as the other end of the dipole. Some have shown theoretically that the counterpoise can be as little as 3-1/2 ft but they are disregarding the action of the coax being the counterpoise or other end of the dipole. The antenna MUST have a reference end, it cannot be used without a ground or counterpoise.

The wire used is common #14 house wire for the 16-ft counterpoise and for the 53-ft section. The 20-ft of feedline connected between the 1:1 Balun and the 9:1 UnUn is composed of an 18-ft RG-8X line which is connected to a 2-ft RG-58 pigtail coming out of the UnUn which totals 20-ft. The feedline to the shack is RG-8.

Bob — KK5R

On Monday, October 26, 2020, 10:08:08 AM EDT, Chuck Eglhaut <ceglhaut@...> wrote:

I have a SWR meter and Antenna Tuner attached to the rig. The Antenna is an end fed and I have the Balan about 4 ft away from the rig. I had this problem from the beginning. But I work 80 and 40 meters everyday no problem . But was trying work CQ Worlld Wide DX contest and 15 meters was the band to be on.
 One person I talked with said maybe my antenna is not matched to 50 ohms.

73 Chuck

Lawrence Galea

RF problems.
Try a quarter wave piece(s) of wire for the bands where you suffer interference connected to the cabinet.
An old but useful trick

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 3:08 PM Chuck Eglhaut <ceglhaut@...> wrote:
I have a SWR meter and Antenna Tuner attached to the rig. The Antenna is an end fed and I have the Balan about 4 ft away from the rig. I had this problem from the beginning. But I work 80 and 40 meters everyday no problem . But was trying work CQ Worlld Wide DX contest and 15 meters was the band to be on.
 One person I talked with said maybe my antenna is not matched to 50 ohms.

73 Chuck

Chuck Eglhaut

I’ll look into this tomorrow and check out my locations of wires and fed line.
I have 84ft for my main leg of 14 ga wire and my counter poise is 36ft of 22 ga insulated wire. This wire is small I was making a QRP compact end fed with 1 to1 UN.
 Chuck
--
LRB
Chuck

Chuck Eglhaut

I cut a pair of wires attached to my cabinet no difference still getting the interference.
Chuck
--
LRB
Chuck

Lawrence Galea

Is the cabinet metal or plastic ?
Dress all wires as far as possible from the output stage.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 4:42 AM Chuck Eglhaut <ceglhaut@...> wrote:
I cut a pair of wires attached to my cabinet no difference still getting the interference.
Chuck
--
LRB
Chuck

Chuck Eglhaut

Ok got the wires cut to length for 15 and 20 meters. Don’t see any interference.
We’ll test drive it couple days see what happens.
Thanks Larry made my day.
73
KA3DFK Chuck
--