Topics

v6 nextion/arduino replacement

dave

is it possibble to replace the screen /ardino with a 2.8 "nextion and a new aruino then use  cec 's software  dave c

Evan Hand

The short answer is yes.  Here is a link to someone who has done that.  The only issue was alignment of the Nextion screen holes, and he was able to work around by enlarging some of the holes.  He did not elaborate which ones.

http://ubitx.net/2020/01/06/a-v6-nextion-display-conversion/

BTW, ubitx.net is another good source for information on the uBiTx modes and source files.

73
Evan
AC9TU

_Dave_ AD0B

Have to ask your self why? The 2.8" nextion is really too small to touch the buttons with the fingers. Have 3 units with Nextion displays 2.8, 3.2, 3.5. The 3.5 is the only one that I  can reliably touch the small buttons. If my unit had come with a touch screen I would not have added one. The CEC firmware is not being updated any further so a dead end.
Dave
ADOB
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

Evan Hand

Dave does have a valid point on the future of the CEC software having a large group adding new features.  Currently though in my opinion, the CEC solution has the most features available today.  Some of these will not be possible with the limitations of the stock Nano and HMI.  Even adding a second Nano to do some of the processing tasks has not yet been documented for the v6 that I know of.

We cannot know how things will go in the future.  Most of the current issues could be solved with an upgrade to the Nano,   Substituting a faster Teensy process with more memory and ram removes most of the Nano roadblock.  I see possibilities there, though currently only improvements int functionality like faster screen response and better "feel" of the encoder has been done with the increased capabilities so far.  There are also limits on the I/O pins on both of the systems to date, so doing DSP type of processing may only be possible with another controller.

I would also caution that some, like myself, use even a 2.4" display (the first upgrade I did to my first v4 uBiTx).  Since it is a resistive touch input, using your fingernails does work.  You do not need the finger pad to activate a capacitor input.  The fact that I have used a resistive touch display for all of the industrial control systems that were graphic may have provided me with the experience of getting the touches correct.  Try to get a button press on even a 7" display with gloves.

I would suggest that you really think about what you want to add and do with the rig before making the choice.  If you like hacking into the programs, then any of them can work.  If it is more operating the rig, then select the features that are important to you and go from there.  If it is to work with what will be available in the future, then that is a crapshoot as I found out with the v6 release.

PLEASE remember that these are my opinions, others may be different, and that is OK with me.  There is not a right or wrong here, only personal preferences.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Jack, W8TEE

Mornin' Evan:

The Teensy in combo with its audio board is a great platform for doing DSP. We used the 3.6 in the JackAl add-on and we do a number of DSP things with it. (You can download the manual from QRP Guys web site to get an idea of what it does.) The newer Teensy T4 is a beast, with 2Mb flash, 1Mb of SRAM, all scootin' along at 600Mhz. (For details on specs, see: https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy40.html ) It is programmable within the Arduino IDE and, so far at least, most of the libraries seem to work with it. Cost is $20, so it's more than a Nano.

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Evan Hand

Missed the morning response so Hello Jack.  Good to hear from you.

I agree, the Teensy T4 is a beast, and if you want to go that route the upgrade with the audio board would give many options for a programmer.
Question back to you, Are you planning any more upgrades around the v6?  Many on this board would be interested I am sure.  That might be a better option to invest in the processor upgrade rather than the display.  Just need more apps like are provided by the JackAl upgrade or the CEC route.  Maybe I missed the offering.

Again, good to hear from you.

73
Evan
AC9TU