Topics

#v6 For sale, #v6

Ike Lawton <w3ike@...>
 

I also have #V6 in good working condition available.  Software needs to be updated.  Asking $175.00 shipped in the US.

73   Ike Lawton  W3IKE/K3ZQ  Annapolis, MD

Bob Lunsford
 

Why are some wanting to sell their V6 radios? Mine is en route now and I anticipate that it will suit my wants but I wonder if there's something I should know about the radio.

Also, how does the V6 work for listening to AM broadcase (knowing you have to zero beat the carrier)?

On Monday, June 8, 2020, 11:11:24 AM EDT, Ike Lawton via groups.io <w3ike@...> wrote:


I also have #V6 in good working condition available.  Software needs to be updated.  Asking $175.00 shipped in the US.

73   Ike Lawton  W3IKE/K3ZQ  Annapolis, MD

Mike G4GOU
 

I got mine just before the shipping from India stopped, after getting it going I changed the display for a 2.8" Nextion.
Took it down to the beach at the weekend as the lockdown in Spoan has just been relaxed, first qso was on 20m SSB to Romania, despite band conditions being poor it gets out fine.
Lots of WSPR spots at up to 19,500km.
So far, I have no intention of selling it.
73 Mike
G4GOU/EA7KIP

Mike G4GOU
 

"Spoan" - I thought I had typed "Spain" whoops ;)

Gordon Gibby
 

GREAT WORK!!


On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 11:50 AM Mike G4GOU <mike@...> wrote:
I got mine just before the shipping from India stopped, after getting it going I changed the display for a 2.8" Nextion.
Took it down to the beach at the weekend as the lockdown in Spoan has just been relaxed, first qso was on 20m SSB to Romania, despite band conditions being poor it gets out fine.
Lots of WSPR spots at up to 19,500km.
So far, I have no intention of selling it.
73 Mike
G4GOU/EA7KIP

Mike Wilson <mike@...>
 

Spoan? I thought I typed Spain :)


On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 at 17:50, Mike G4GOU <mike@...> wrote:
I got mine just before the shipping from India stopped, after getting it going I changed the display for a 2.8" Nextion.
Took it down to the beach at the weekend as the lockdown in Spoan has just been relaxed, first qso was on 20m SSB to Romania, despite band conditions being poor it gets out fine.
Lots of WSPR spots at up to 19,500km.
So far, I have no intention of selling it.
73 Mike
G4GOU/EA7KIP



--
Mike
Mike Wilson
Gibraltar

+44 1923 883991
+350 5404 7852
+34 603 741 023

FacebookTwitterSkypeGmailWindows LiveYouTube

barry halterman
 

Is that the rock of Gibraltar in the background?
Looks familiar.
Barry

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 1:30 PM Mike Wilson <mike@...> wrote:
Spoan? I thought I typed Spain :)

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 at 17:50, Mike G4GOU <mike@...> wrote:
I got mine just before the shipping from India stopped, after getting it going I changed the display for a 2.8" Nextion.
Took it down to the beach at the weekend as the lockdown in Spoan has just been relaxed, first qso was on 20m SSB to Romania, despite band conditions being poor it gets out fine.
Lots of WSPR spots at up to 19,500km.
So far, I have no intention of selling it.
73 Mike
G4GOU/EA7KIP



--
Mike
Mike Wilson
Gibraltar

+44 1923 883991
+350 5404 7852
+34 603 741 023

FacebookTwitterSkypeGmailWindows LiveYouTube

Bill Cromwell
 

Hi,

You are a victim of lexdysia too?

73,

Bill KU8H


bark less - wag more

On 6/8/20 11:55 AM, Mike G4GOU wrote:
"Spoan" - I thought I had typed "Spain" whoops ;)

Mike G4GOU
 

Rock of Gibraltar is in the background - about 15 miles south of me.

lexdysia - I think the brain goes at a different speed than the fingers. ;)

Dean Souleles
 

HI Bob - 

I think you are going to love your uBitx.  I have the V5 and until I built my own homebrew 40 meter transceiver it was my go-to rig - even over my Kenwood TS-450s.  I thoroughly enjoy operating it both SSB phone and digital.  With a good antenna and a good operating location you should be able to work the world.   Some folks don't seem to fully grasp is that this is not a commercial rig supported by a big company.  It is a low cost hobbyist kit rig with amazing capabilities - and all the support is right here on the board.  Even though V6 is pretty much plug and play - it is still a kit and you may need to do a little tune up work.  For me it was just calibrating the BFO- which is even easier now - there is a tool and procedure right on the HF Signals web site.  The other nice thing is that for an aspiring home-brewer the uBitx kit is a great gateway project.

I frequently listen to AM stations - since this is a general coverage receiver you should be able to tune stations just about anywhere on the HF bands.   It is still single sideband but it sounds surprisingly good.  If your BFO is properly calibrated when you tune to an AM station you can flip back and forth between USB and LSB and you will hear no difference at all.

As far as why some folks sell.... it's merely "different horses for different courses."  I guess not their cup of tea.

73,
Dean
KK4DAS

Bill Cromwell
 

Hi,

I am voting with Dean. I have built some stuff before. I was looking for a platform to get a good grasp of microcontrolers in radio gear and have a new radio in the shack with general coverage receive and do SSB/CW on the air. The uBitX ticked all the boxes. I have a V3 and it gets used:) If you want a plug n play radio with all the bells n whistles and every mode known to man you should buy a YaeComWood or EleCraft, etc (I have a Kenwood, some Heath, and Johnson gear). The radio does what it promises. Enjoy.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 6/9/20 11:54 AM, Dean Souleles wrote:
HI Bob -
I think you are going to love your uBitx.  I have the V5 and until I built my own homebrew 40 meter transceiver it was my go-to rig - even over my Kenwood TS-450s.  I thoroughly enjoy operating it both SSB phone and digital.  With a good antenna and a good operating location you should be able to work the world.   Some folks don't seem to fully grasp is that this is not a commercial rig supported by a big company.  It is a low cost hobbyist kit rig with amazing capabilities - and all the support is right here on the board.  Even though V6 is pretty much plug and play - it is still a kit and you may need to do a little tune up work.  For me it was just calibrating the BFO- which is even easier now - there is a tool and procedure right on the HF Signals web site.  The other nice thing is that for an aspiring home-brewer the uBitx kit is a great gateway project.
I frequently listen to AM stations - since this is a general coverage receiver you should be able to tune stations just about anywhere on the HF bands.   It is still single sideband but it sounds surprisingly good.  If your BFO is properly calibrated when you tune to an AM station you can flip back and forth between USB and LSB and you will hear no difference at all.
As far as why some folks sell.... it's merely "different horses for different courses."  I guess not their cup of tea.
73,
Dean
KK4DAS

Bob Lunsford
 

Thanks, Dean. I feel much better now. {;->

I plan to use it mainly for mobile purposes. The home rig is an FT-890 and it also has no menus buried in other menus. I had an FT-450 previously and let it go because it was not that good on AM Broadcast — after getting the menus set up, I rarely went into them so that was not a complaint.

I had the V4 before and it was OK but sold it because it was marginal to not being accepted with FCC standards on 20M and up, even though I seldom went above 20M, mainly using 17M when the band was open. Seeing that the V6 passed all FCC standards was the clincher for buying it and the full kit with cabinet is nice to show off, too. I look forward to getting it later this week.

Thanks again, Dean.

On Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 11:54:23 AM EDT, Dean Souleles <dsouleles@...> wrote:


HI Bob - 

I think you are going to love your uBitx.  I have the V5 and until I built my own homebrew 40 meter transceiver it was my go-to rig - even over my Kenwood TS-450s.  I thoroughly enjoy operating it both SSB phone and digital.  With a good antenna and a good operating location you should be able to work the world.   Some folks don't seem to fully grasp is that this is not a commercial rig supported by a big company.  It is a low cost hobbyist kit rig with amazing capabilities - and all the support is right here on the board.  Even though V6 is pretty much plug and play - it is still a kit and you may need to do a little tune up work.  For me it was just calibrating the BFO- which is even easier now - there is a tool and procedure right on the HF Signals web site.  The other nice thing is that for an aspiring home-brewer the uBitx kit is a great gateway project.

I frequently listen to AM stations - since this is a general coverage receiver you should be able to tune stations just about anywhere on the HF bands.   It is still single sideband but it sounds surprisingly good.  If your BFO is properly calibrated when you tune to an AM station you can flip back and forth between USB and LSB and you will hear no difference at all.

As far as why some folks sell.... it's merely "different horses for different courses."  I guess not their cup of tea.

73,
Dean
KK4DAS

Bob Lunsford
 

I had my eye on on the G90 and 5105 sold by MFJ since I had the XM1 and the predecessor to the G90 before. (My son has it now, he's a ham in Sacramento and loves to take it to the mountains, first contact was Japan)... The cost of the full V6 kit still saves you a bunch of money and can still supply bragging rights for putting it together.

When operating QRP, the rig is half of it and the other half is the antenna. Maybe more than half... For portable, I plan to use an endfed dipole with 9:1 unun since it's easy to put up and covers all bands. But that's another story.

On Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 12:12:33 PM EDT, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:


Hi,

I am voting with Dean. I have built some stuff before. I was looking for
a platform to get a good grasp of microcontrolers in radio gear and have
a new radio in the shack with general coverage receive and do SSB/CW on
the air. The uBitX ticked all the boxes. I have a V3 and it gets used:)
If you want a plug n play radio with all the bells n whistles and every
mode known to man you should buy a YaeComWood or EleCraft, etc (I have
a Kenwood, some Heath, and Johnson gear). The radio does what it
promises. Enjoy.

73,

Bill  KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 6/9/20 11:54 AM, Dean Souleles wrote:
> HI Bob -
>
> I think you are going to love your uBitx.  I have the V5 and until I
> built my own homebrew 40 meter transceiver it was my go-to rig - even
> over my Kenwood TS-450s.  I thoroughly enjoy operating it both SSB phone
> and digital.  With a good antenna and a good operating location you
> should be able to work the world.   Some folks don't seem to fully grasp
> is that this is not a commercial rig supported by a big company.  It is
> a low cost hobbyist kit rig with amazing capabilities - and all the
> support is right here on the board.  Even though V6 is pretty much plug
> and play - it is still a kit and you may need to do a little tune up
> work.  For me it was just calibrating the BFO- which is even easier now
> - there is a tool and procedure right on the HF Signals web site.  The
> other nice thing is that for an aspiring home-brewer the uBitx kit is a
> great gateway project.
>
> I frequently listen to AM stations - since this is a general coverage
> receiver you should be able to tune stations just about anywhere on the
> HF bands.   It is still single sideband but it sounds surprisingly
> good.  If your BFO is properly calibrated when you tune to an AM station
> you can flip back and forth between USB and LSB and you will hear no
> difference at all.
>
> As far as why some folks sell.... it's merely "different horses for
> different courses."  I guess not their cup of tea.
>
> 73,
> Dean
> KK4DAS
>



R. Tyson
 

I have the V5 and it works a treat. I am just part way through improving my antenna but even with a low dipole and not very good band conditions it has been working into Europe on 40m.

There are those who buy the rig not having properly read up about it. They are then dismayed when they find they have to do some work and find the information they want. It's all there and not difficult to access. They also expect ... who knows ? but not apparently what they get.

There are loads of people happily using their uBitX and are very happy with it. Take your time putting it together. Use a dummy load to check output and make sure you have an antenna with an acceptable SWR then.......    just enjoy the rig.

Reg                   G4NFR