Topics

USB / serial board

Kit Peters

I found this in my box of uBITX stuff. I can see that it's got usb, serial, and a couple of 1/8" jacks, but I don't know where to hook them up. Also, it doesn't quite fit my case, but that I can probably fix.

Evan Hand

Kit,
The board in your pictures is just a breakout for connection to a PC.  The USB gets connected to the miniUSB connector on the Raduino Nano.  You need to add the headers and then rig up a connector for the Nano.  Look up USB connections on the internet.  The 3.5mm jacks are for Audio, you need to parallel them off of the audio signals from the speaker and mic.  The last is to wire up a DB9 connector that some serial links use.  Wiring of the DB9 would totally depend on the digital interface that you have if any.

I did not use any of the three that I got with my cases.  For digital, I use the speaker and mic jacks on the front of the radio and wire the PC USB direct to the Nano for CAT control.

To sum it up, it is an option that you can use for digital mode connections, special interfaces, or not at all.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Kit Peters

  "The USB gets connected to the miniUSB connector on the Raduino Nano." - Is *that* what that's for? I had it in my head that was DC power for the Arduino (that it was getting from elsewhere in the uBITX).

--
Kit Peters, W0KEH
GPG public key fingerpint: D4FF AA62 AFEA 83D6 CC98 ACE5 6FAE 7E74 7F56 ED1D

Evan Hand

Kit,
When you connect a USB cable to it, it will get power from the USB cable as well as the 5volt regulator on the Raduino board.  It is one of the watch-outs when changing the configuration with a USB link.  You need to disconnect the cable AND turn off the power to do a reset as the reset button is not accessible (it is under the board).

73
Evan
AC9TU