Topics

#ubitxv6 #firmware #firmware #ubitxv6


Ian Offer <icoffer@...>
 

Are we to expect a KD8CEC firmware release that runs on UbitxV6 hardware?


MadRadioModder
 

I would not expect anything of the sort.  Lee has on to other projects.  The change from V5 to V6 is relatively easy… in fact some on the reflector have done it already.

 

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ian Offer
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 11:49 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: [BITX20] #ubitxv6 #firmware

 

Are we to expect a KD8CEC firmware release that runs on UbitxV6 hardware?


Virus-free. www.avg.com

--

…_. _._


MVS Sarma
 

In the v6 description,i remember Farhan mentoned that old raduino with 16*2 display can be used with propey planing it in the socket.  
As such in the same psition, kd8cec firmware with nextion could also work. 

Sarma v3zmv

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020, 10:19 pm Ian Offer, <icoffer@...> wrote:
Are we to expect a KD8CEC firmware release that runs on UbitxV6 hardware?


MVS Sarma
 

In raduino tft description attached, you find at second bullet, data regarding pin out being same as 16x2 display.


On Fri, 31 Jul 2020, 11:40 pm MVS Sarma via groups.io, <mvssarma=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
In the v6 description,i remember Farhan mentoned that old raduino with 16*2 display can be used with propey planing it in the socket.  
As such in the same psition, kd8cec firmware with nextion could also work. 

Sarma v3zmv

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020, 10:19 pm Ian Offer, <icoffer@...> wrote:
Are we to expect a KD8CEC firmware release that runs on UbitxV6 hardware?


Reed N
 

What features/functionality are you looking for?


Reed


Ian Offer <icoffer@...>
 

Reed,
Thankyou for your reply.
I am currently using your R1.5.1 software, and it is very nice. Thankyou for that.
The stock software that came with the UbitxV6 H/W is quite unacceptable, and clearly, has not been tested.

The add on AGC board, available from 'Kit-Projects', has an analog S meter output, which can be connected to A7 on the Nano board. The S meter appears on the display, although I have not seen what it looks like. I understand that the CEC software implements this function, but of course, not on the UbitxV6 H/W, with its display.
It would be nice to have this feature.

Having paid good money for the UbitxV6 hardware, with a perfectly usable display, I have no intention of changing the display, as others are suggesting.

Regards,
Ian.


Reed N
 

Hi Ian,

Great to hear. TSW's teensy software has v6 S-meter support. Is that an option for you?


Reed


Ian Offer <icoffer@...>
 

Reed,
Well I am not sure if it is an option.
I can't figure out if the TSW software runs on the stock ubitxV6 hardware, or if I need to use some of their H/W.

Ian.


Evan Hand
 

The software as provided by TSW would only work on the Teensy hardware that they sell.  There are pinouts and other hardware differences that would have to be modified, as well as the speed difference that could make any cool options too slow or not reliable.

73
Evan
AC9TU


W2CTX
 

I a member of team TSW and Evan is correct in that you buy a Teensy T4 and
plug it into the T4 adapter board which is then plugged into the same socket
that the NANO would go.

Yes the pinouts are different for the paddle inputs so we could eliminate a poorly
designed voltage divider circuit..  There are 3 wires of the adapter board which
allows paddle CW to be generated by interrupt control.

Evan please expand on your statement about speed making a difference that
could make options slow or not reliable as I would like to fix this.

rOn

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020, 12:27:22 AM EDT, Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:


The software as provided by TSW would only work on the Teensy hardware that they sell.  There are pinouts and other hardware differences that would have to be modified, as well as the speed difference that could make any cool options too slow or not reliable.

73
Evan
AC9TU


Evan Hand
 

Ron,
I may have spoken out of turn, that being that I do not have a v6, nor your Teensy adapter to verify that statement.  I apologize if I have caused an issue.

The basis for my statement is that the original software from HF Signals (Ashhar Farhan) had some update speed issues that others improved through different coding of the display and other functions as I understand it.  My assumption is that with the higher speed of the Teensy processor that would not be needed.  There is also a larger amount of memory available so that code optimization for size would not be needed.  All of these come from the advantages of the Teensy.

In no way am I saying that there is a shortcoming with your hardware/software approach.  I was trying to make the point that putting your software on a lessor processor would not give the same results.

Again, I do not see any shortcomings or need to modify your code, as I do not have a v6 to use it.

With deepest apologies,
73
Evan
AC9TU


W2CTX
 

Evan

  No problem and thank you for clarifying. 
  Yes the original NANO code did have slow display updating.

  I am always open for comments so I can address them.

rOn

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020, 9:25:36 AM EDT, Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:


Ron,
I may have spoken out of turn, that being that I do not have a v6, nor your Teensy adapter to verify that statement.  I apologize if I have caused an issue.

The basis for my statement is that the original software from HF Signals (Ashhar Farhan) had some update speed issues that others improved through different coding of the display and other functions as I understand it.  My assumption is that with the higher speed of the Teensy processor that would not be needed.  There is also a larger amount of memory available so that code optimization for size would not be needed.  All of these come from the advantages of the Teensy.

In no way am I saying that there is a shortcoming with your hardware/software approach.  I was trying to make the point that putting your software on a lessor processor would not give the same results.

Again, I do not see any shortcomings or need to modify your code, as I do not have a v6 to use it.

With deepest apologies,
73
Evan
AC9TU


Ian Offer <icoffer@...>
 

Reed,
It sounds like the answer is, No. I can't use TSW's software with the stock UbitxV6 hardware.

If the R1.5.1 code takes up all but 50 bytes of FLASH, I don't suppose there is enough room to implement an S meter on the display, unless there are some other space saving tricks up your sleeve.

Thanks,
Ian.


Reed N
 

Hi Ian,

I knew the TSW software didn't work on the Nano. It was more a question of are you willing to pony up the $35 or so to get a teensy, their adapter, and shipping for both. TSW's adapter doesn't require any permanent mods, so you can switch back to the stock nano easily enough if you discover it's not for you. If you're already doing other hardware mods (e.g. the AGC) then I'm not sure why you're so concerned about keeping the processor stock.

The KD8CEC software + nextion has room to implement the S-meter along with all the other features because the Nextion screen actually is a secondary processor running all of the code required to render the images and process the touch inputs. On the v6, the Nano has to do all of that, and graphics take up a TON of resources relative to other responsibilities.

That said, there are definitely ways to get an S-meter into the nano on the v6. You just have to chose what to give up instead, and/or spend some time refactoring to squeeze in a few more bytes. I documented a number of recommendations of where "fat" might be cut in the project "Read Me" file (found at https://github.com/reedbn/ubitxv6/blob/master/README.md ). However, as I said on a different thread in this group, I don't plan on spending any more of my own time developing on the nano. I'd make an exception if somebody were to make a pull request with additional functionality, like adding an S-meter without sacrificing any existing features, or if somebody discovered a critical flaw that made the current software unusable. Barring that, my next move will be to pick a new processor and develop on that - I'd rather pay a little more than to continue banging my head into the flash limit on the nano.


Reed


Vic WA4THR
 

You can always add an S-meter in hardware, too, as another poster has done and shown on this group. Just tapping the signal from the high side of the pot, feeding a small audio amp and then rectifying the output to feed a mechanical or electronic meter.

=Vic=


Bob Lunsford
 

It may be an advantage if rectified output of audio S-Meter source has a cap of sufficient size to make the reading more readable considering the gaps between voice peaks or the key-up non-signal on CW. Otherwise, the meter's needle could jump around too much to provide comfortable reading.

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020, 5:33:30 AM EDT, Vic WA4THR via groups.io <vhklein@...> wrote:


You can always add an S-meter in hardware, too, as another poster has done and shown on this group. Just tapping the signal from the high side of the pot, feeding a small audio amp and then rectifying the output to feed a mechanical or electronic meter.

=Vic=


Bill Cromwell
 

Hi,

S-meters are only for scientific wild-eyed guesses when used in the wild. In the laboratory under more precisely controlled conditions 50 microvolts (at the antenna terminal) = S-9.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 8/5/20 11:37 AM, Bob Lunsford via groups.io wrote:
It may be an advantage if rectified output of audio S-Meter source has a cap of sufficient size to make the reading more readable considering the gaps between voice peaks or the key-up non-signal on CW. Otherwise, the meter's needle could jump around too much to provide comfortable reading.
On Wednesday, August 5, 2020, 5:33:30 AM EDT, Vic WA4THR via groups.io <vhklein=ptd.net@groups.io> wrote:
You can always add an S-meter in hardware, too, as another poster has done and shown on this group. Just tapping the signal from the high side of the pot, feeding a small audio amp and then rectifying the output to feed a mechanical or electronic meter.
=Vic=


Arv Evans
 

Bill

I agree with your minimally invasive S-meter idea.  We have used that approach for many years.
Problem for the younger set is that meter movements are becoming more difficult to find, and
more expensive when found.  On an older BITX unit I added an LM3914 and some LEDs to
provide relative signal strength and relative power output (forward and reverse SWR indications). 
It is not a lab-grade measuring system, but is adequate for normal on-air operation. 

Arv
_._


On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 9:49 AM Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:
Hi,

S-meters are only for scientific wild-eyed guesses when used in the
wild. In the laboratory under more precisely controlled conditions 50
microvolts (at the antenna terminal) = S-9.

73,

Bill  KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 8/5/20 11:37 AM, Bob Lunsford via groups.io wrote:
> It may be an advantage if rectified output of audio S-Meter source has a
> cap of sufficient size to make the reading more readable considering the
> gaps between voice peaks or the key-up non-signal on CW. Otherwise, the
> meter's needle could jump around too much to provide comfortable reading.
>
> On Wednesday, August 5, 2020, 5:33:30 AM EDT, Vic WA4THR via groups.io
> <vhklein=ptd.net@groups.io> wrote:
>
>
> You can always add an S-meter in hardware, too, as another poster has
> done and shown on this group. Just tapping the signal from the high side
> of the pot, feeding a small audio amp and then rectifying the output to
> feed a mechanical or electronic meter.
>
> =Vic=
>




Jack, W8TEE
 

I thought tapping onto a volume control yields a Vu meter, not an S meter. I'm confused.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020, 11:37:58 AM EDT, Bob Lunsford via groups.io <nocrud222@...> wrote:


It may be an advantage if rectified output of audio S-Meter source has a cap of sufficient size to make the reading more readable considering the gaps between voice peaks or the key-up non-signal on CW. Otherwise, the meter's needle could jump around too much to provide comfortable reading.

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020, 5:33:30 AM EDT, Vic WA4THR via groups.io <vhklein@...> wrote:


You can always add an S-meter in hardware, too, as another poster has done and shown on this group. Just tapping the signal from the high side of the pot, feeding a small audio amp and then rectifying the output to feed a mechanical or electronic meter.

=Vic=

--
Jack, W8TEE


Bob Lunsford
 

Comparison of fast vs slow ALC settings may provide a sense of preference for meter movement. The cap should not affect the level of sensitivity, only the amount of "needle bounce" experienced.

Bob — KK5R

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020, 11:49:37 AM EDT, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:


Hi,

S-meters are only for scientific wild-eyed guesses when used in the
wild. In the laboratory under more precisely controlled conditions 50
microvolts (at the antenna terminal) = S-9.

73,

Bill  KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 8/5/20 11:37 AM, Bob Lunsford via groups.io wrote:
> It may be an advantage if rectified output of audio S-Meter source has a
> cap of sufficient size to make the reading more readable considering the
> gaps between voice peaks or the key-up non-signal on CW. Otherwise, the
> meter's needle could jump around too much to provide comfortable reading.
>
> On Wednesday, August 5, 2020, 5:33:30 AM EDT, Vic WA4THR via groups.io
> <vhklein=ptd.net@groups.io> wrote:
>
>
> You can always add an S-meter in hardware, too, as another poster has
> done and shown on this group. Just tapping the signal from the high side
> of the pot, feeding a small audio amp and then rectifying the output to
> feed a mechanical or electronic meter.
>
> =Vic=
>