Topics

ubitxV6 Bricked? #v6

Reed N

I got a ubitx V6 basic kit, and while I'm waiting for some parts, I decided to poke around the radiuno+TFT stuff. I had the module removed from the rest of the radio so as to protect the RF stuff, and plugged the nano directly into my computer. Screen popped up, all seemed well.

After testing some custom firmware builds to increase draw speed, I noticed that the touch wasn't working anymore. Looking into it a bit, it appears that I somehow corrupted the touch sensor calibration, which was set to 0 slope on both axes, and mid-2000's for the offsets. More worrying, when I disconnected and reconnected the USB, I got a blank white screen, and 0 activity otherwise. Fortunately, I could re-flash the code, and upon completion the nano boots.

I tried re-cal'ing (holding button on power on) and got -111 -151 3879 3857 as my slopes and offsets, and the touch screen worked again, so that's happy (although I'll have to re-cal the oscillator stuff once it's put together). However, I still get a blank white screen when I power cycle the raduino.

Any ideas what might have gone wrong, or how to reset whatever got messed up so that it will boot normally at power on with the stock firmware?

Reed

W2CTX

If your raduino is only powered by the computer you may have
to press the reset button on the NANO!

On December 31, 2019 at 10:46 PM Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:

[...]

W2CTX - do you have experience with the nano not working when only powered off of USB, or just speculating? The reason I'm a bit concerned is that the first time I powered off of USB it booted perfectly first try.

Reed

Evan Hand

I do not have a v6 uBitx, so cannot comment directly.  I do have some experience with Arduinos in multiple projects and with 3 different v4 and v5 uBitx.  None have had issues with rebooting on power cycle.

I suspect an issue with the tft screen not responding correctly on bootup. That is based on the fact that the calibration values are changing.  Since the Nano is much lower cost than the display, I would buy a new Nano to replace the current one, reload the stock software and see if the same problem appears.

Note: be sure to purchase the Nano with the headers separate, i.e. not soldered, as the headers are on the opposite side when used in the Raduino that I am familiar with.

Having a second or even third Nano to experiment with makes it easy try new software, the less than $5 per Nano seems like a good investment (that is based on Amazon prices, other sources have them less expensive though longer wait time in general).  You can than keep a "Stock" device to swap out to check proper operation of the rest of the rig if something seems off.

As always, the above are just suggestions.  You may want to wait for others with v6 uBitx to respond to your question.

Good luck on your new build.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Ashhar Farhan

Your power supply maybe not juicy enough. I faced this problem too, then a better power supply solved it

On Wed 1 Jan, 2020, 10:33 AM W2CTX, <w2ctx@...> wrote:
If your raduino is only powered by the computer you may have
to press the reset button on the NANO!

> On December 31, 2019 at 10:46 PM Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:
>

> I got a ubitx V6 basic kit, and while I'm waiting for some parts, I decided to poke around the radiuno+TFT stuff. I had the module removed from the rest of the radio so as to protect the RF stuff, and plugged the nano directly into my computer. Screen popped up, all seemed well.
>
> After testing some custom firmware builds to increase draw speed, I noticed that the touch wasn't working anymore. Looking into it a bit, it appears that I somehow corrupted the touch sensor calibration, which was set to 0 slope on both axes, and mid-2000's for the offsets. More worrying, when I disconnected and reconnected the USB, I got a blank white screen, and 0 activity otherwise. Fortunately, I could re-flash the code, and upon completion the nano boots.
>
> I tried re-cal'ing (holding button on power on) and got -111 -151 3879 3857 as my slopes and offsets, and the touch screen worked again, so that's happy (although I'll have to re-cal the oscillator stuff once it's put together). However, I still get a blank white screen when I power cycle the raduino.
>
> Any ideas what might have gone wrong, or how to reset whatever got messed up so that it will boot normally at power on with the stock firmware?
>
> Reed

Evan Hand

Reed,
Based on Ashhar's suggestion, try it with a powered USB hub connected between the computer and Raduino.

You might also want to try supplying the Raduino with a separate 12vdc supply, rather than using the Nano regulator to power the display.  I believe that Ashhar had a reason to add the separate 5v regulator to the Raduino, rather than using power from the Nano.

Again, just suggestions.
73
Evan
AC9TU

W2CTX

I have never hooked the raduino to the main board.

On January 1, 2020 at 3:05 AM Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:

W2CTX - do you have experience with the nano not working when only powered off of USB, or just speculating? The reason I'm a bit concerned is that the first time I powered off of USB it booted perfectly first try.

Reed

Reed N

Well I haven't managed to figure out why the display is always blank on boot. I've tried all of the USB power supplies in my house. Resetting the nano (via serial port's reset line) boots up just fine, so hopefully once I have the full radio built up and running off of 12V through the regulator, whatever startup sequencing is causing the current issues will be fixed.

Reed

Evan Hand

I have had similar issues with a Raspberry PI, That turned out to be a cable issue: The wire gauge was too small/ wire too long to supply the current without dropping the voltage below the required value.  You could try using the shortest and thickest usb cable to see if that helps.

FWIW
73
Evan
AC9TU

Reed N

Update! I believe I figured out a fix to the white screen at not issue, committed to my pdq_gfx_update branch, f1ea1fd081d128895f336d0ca16de6246a422f2f.

The reason for not coming up appears to have nothing to do with power and everything to do with the initialization sequence in the drivers. It seems that my screen starts up in deep sleep mode sometimes, so by sending the right sequence to wake it up before initializing the driver, everything works as desired, no matter how many times I power cycle.

Thanks to everybody who chimed in here. I really appreciate you taking the time to help a stranger like me :)

Reed