Topics

uBITX woes, feeling disheartened. #ubitx


David Beal
 

also, for what it's worth - the original relay data sheet is here: http://www.megasan.com/service/pdfhandler.ashx?fileid=6579 
--
Dave Beal
AE6RQ


César EA3IAV
 

I feel like my relays are not working
the only click i make is on ptt but the relays make no noise when going on through the bands...
i think that signal is not making it to the antenna...


 

The band change relays operate only when the PTT is pressed in the uBitx. I have made
mods to keep the relays operating in RX and you can hear the band change then only.

Disadvantage is that the RX current consumption increases when relays are always on.

Raj

At 28/01/2018, you wrote:
I feel like my relays are not working
the only click i make is on ptt but the relays make no noise when going on through the bands...
i think that signal is not making it to the antenna...


Henning Weddig
 

to my memory in a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEQNAekjkNk&t=2662s

Ashar Farhan explained that he had problems with some relays. He showed a test jig to test failed boards for the relays. May be that You got a board with these faulty relays.

Henning Weddig

DK5LV


Am 28.01.2018 um 01:07 schrieb César EA3IAV:

I feel like my relays are not working
the only click i make is on ptt but the relays make no noise when going on through the bands...
i think that signal is not making it to the antenna...


César EA3IAV
 

I don’t see any help that may lead to solve my problem. Sorry guys this is aint funny anymore


Richard Spohn
 

Yes, I know the feeling. I feel like this every morning. - Rich WB2GXM

On 1/27/18, César EA3IAV <Cesarleon@...> wrote:
I feel like my relays are not working
the only click i make is on ptt but the relays make no noise when going on
through the bands...
i think that signal is not making it to the antenna...


Bob McMillan
 

I had trouble with k3 relay not switching back to receive. Couldn’t find a replacement
Luckily re-solder seemed to solve the problem. I would like to find a replacement just in case.

Bob
W5rkm


Michael Hagen
 

They are standard relays, look on eBay.

73's

Mike, WA6ISP


On 1/28/2018 7:58 PM, Bob McMillan wrote:
I had trouble with k3 relay not switching back to receive. Couldn’t find a replacement
Luckily re-solder seemed to solve the problem. I would like to find a replacement just in case.

Bob
W5rkm

-- 
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street
Yucaipa, Ca. 92399
(909) 918-0058
PayPal ID  "MotDog@..."
Mike@...


Bob McMillan
 

Must have missed them. I look again
Thanks

Bob
W5rkm


David Beal
 

Hi Cesar, 

I'm also following this thread which is similar to what I'm experiencing:  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topic/no_tx/7733258?p=Created,,,20,1,20,0&jump=1 
--
Dave Beal
AE6RQ


David Beal
 

Hi Nick, 

I got the same relay and am equally confused as the pinout for both the original relay (Virtual) and this replacement (Panasonic) appears to be the same (across 1/16 on both pinouts); yet the schematic shows the coil across pin 8/9 per:  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/40439

Oddly, the data sheet for this relay which I posted here: https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/40440  is no longer available.  
Further, this post:  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/26983  indicates coil across 1/16 also. 

I'm going to disconnect PA power this weekend and use an ohm meter to trace through the relays per someone else's suggestion.  

Dave


--
Dave Beal
AE6RQ


K5ESS
 

The pin numbering on these relays is inconsistent  i.e. reversed in some cases. Either will work OK by taking this into consideration.

Mike

K5ESS

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of David Beal
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:36 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] uBITX woes, feeling disheartened.

 

Hi Nick, 

I got the same relay and am equally confused as the pinout for both the original relay (Virtual) and this replacement (Panasonic) appears to be the same (across 1/16 on both pinouts); yet the schematic shows the coil across pin 8/9 per:  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/40439

Oddly, the data sheet for this relay which I posted here: https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/40440  is no longer available.  
Further, this post:  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/26983  indicates coil across 1/16 also. 

I'm going to disconnect PA power this weekend and use an ohm meter to trace through the relays per someone else's suggestion.  

Dave


--
Dave Beal
AE6RQ


James Lawrie
 

Hello,

Who is the member of this group that has the bad uBitx with all the relay/other issues? Please contact me about your uBitx. I have a new in the box uBitx I might be will to swap for you damaged one, but I need to know what shape it’s in physically.

After all these posts you seem to be getting nowhere and I hate to see problems like this unresolved, no strings or catch I haven’t built mine and you could use it more than me at the moment.


James Lawrie

On Jan 30, 2018, at 13:18, K5ESS <k5ess.nothdurft@...> wrote:

The pin numbering on these relays is inconsistent  i.e. reversed in some cases. Either will work OK by taking this into consideration.

Mike

K5ESS

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of David Beal
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:36 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] uBITX woes, feeling disheartened.

 

Hi Nick, 

I got the same relay and am equally confused as the pinout for both the original relay (Virtual) and this replacement (Panasonic) appears to be the same (across 1/16 on both pinouts); yet the schematic shows the coil across pin 8/9 per:  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/40439

Oddly, the data sheet for this relay which I posted here: https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/40440  is no longer available.  
Further, this post:  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/26983  indicates coil across 1/16 also. 

I'm going to disconnect PA power this weekend and use an ohm meter to trace through the relays per someone else's suggestion.  

Dave


--
Dave Beal
AE6RQ


César EA3IAV
 

I may want the raduino board James ...


David Beal
 

Hi Chris - 

Replying to your suggestion to check DC path.  Unfortunately there is a path to DC no matter if it's TX or RX.  The RX path goes through K1.  

I have verified 12v across D7 (K1) when PPT is on.   Still stumbling around ... 

--
Dave Beal
AE6RQ


James Lawrie
 

I might be willing to swap your Ubitx for mine. I haven't touched it yet still new in box. I'm working on modding my bitx 40s for now. If interested let me know we can work out the details.

James lawrie



Sent from my Galaxy Tab A

-------- Original message --------
From: David Beal <aardvarq@...>
Date: 1/31/18 21:55 (GMT-06:00)
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] uBITX woes, feeling disheartened.

Hi Chris - 

Replying to your suggestion to check DC path.  Unfortunately there is a path to DC no matter if it's TX or RX.  The RX path goes through K1.  

I have verified 12v across D7 (K1) when PPT is on.   Still stumbling around ... 

--
Dave Beal
AE6RQ


rlawson695@...
 

hello all  First poster;   k3 suppose to have voltage all the time?  on rec first set of pins have none. second set/3 have 11.8 v last one no voltage. on trans.1st third and fourth set of pins have11.8v. I can hear ke clicking when I hit ppt.   AC8XZ


Jerry Gaffke
 

I have no idea what your sets of pins are. 
Read this post to understand the relay pin numbering, 
and how the rail labeled "TX" gets connected to 12v when you press the PTT switch to transmit. 
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/40808

When receiving, the relay contacts are as show in the schematic.
Pin 8 of K3 is not getting power during receive, so it is zero volts and the relay is not energized.
M1 and M3 are low level received audio, and should be close to zero volts.
The antenna at K3-12 is connected to K3-14 from which the received signal continues on through K1 and into the receiver.
The antenna also has a low level signal, and you will see close to zero volts on those pins too.

When transmitting, the TX 12v rail powers the K3 relay coil by putting 12 volts on pin 8.
M1 and M2 get disconnected when the relay is energized, in hopes of somewhat reducing the PTT  audio pops.
The antenna is connected to the IRF510 power amp through K3-12 and K3-16, there will be perhaps 30 volts RMS of RF signal
on pins 12 and 16 while transmitting, though the signal is centered on ground due to the transformer at T11, your DC voltmeter won't
accurately show what is going on there when transmitting.  The meter will likely read around zero volts, though the strong RF
transmit signal could conceivably damage some meters.


On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 05:53 pm, @AC8XZ wrote:
hello all  First poster;   k3 suppose to have voltage all the time?  on rec first set of pins have none. second set/3 have 11.8 v last one no voltage. on trans.1st third and fourth set of pins have11.8v. I can hear ke clicking when I hit ppt.   AC8XZ


rlawson695@...
 

hello; ok I'm getting no 12 volts at D7 with ptt on and vom leads one on both des. sure do appicate all the help. so with no power at d7,where do I check next 73's de AC8XZ


Jerry Gaffke
 

Read this old post, you should be able to follow along with your vom:
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/40808


On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:31 pm, @AC8XZ wrote:
hello; ok I'm getting no 12 volts at D7 with ptt on and vom leads one on both des. sure do appicate all the help. so with no power at d7,where do I check next 73's de