Topics

uBITX Wireup Diagrams on the HF SIGNALS WEBSITE ARE WRONG!! #ubitx #ubitx-help

Jim Sheldon

Everyone -- I have seen several pictures of people wiring up the KEY JACK wrong.  This is because the "Wiring up" diagrams on the HF Signals websites, in wiring instructions and also in Farhan's information on github are WRONG.

The 4.7K resistor and the BLUE keyer lead from P1, the digital plug on the Raduino care are shown on the diagrams (all of them) as being tied to PIN 2 of the key jack.  This is WRONG! I say again WRONG!  It shoiuld be showin as going to PIN 1 of the key jack in the diagram.   Pin 2 is the RING connection on the stereo jack supplied and PIN 1 is the TIP.

If you plug a hand key or keyer with a MONO plug into the jack as it is now shown, the uBITX will go into transmit and stay in transmit until you pull the plug out of the jack! That is because the "Sleeve" of a mono plug is ground (or Earth as some call it) and shorts between ground on the stereo jack and the incorrectly configured "RING" connection.  Move the 4.7K and Blue wire to the terminal on the right hand side of the jack as you view it from the front.  Here is a picture of how it SHOULD be wired.  I have mentioned this several times and tried to call it to Ashhar Farhan's attention so he could change the diagrams but so far he either hasn't seen my comments or hasn't had the time to change the diagrams.

If some of the newer people just receiving and constructing their uBITX radios wire it by the diagram and plug a key into it before hooking up a good antenna or dummy load they may destroy their PA section when the radio keys (and stays keyed for some time until they disconnect the hand key or remove power) into an open and possibly blows the IRF 510's.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB

The picture is an example of how the key jack SHOULD be wired.

Arvo W0VRA

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 05:42 am, Jim Sheldon wrote:
The 4.7K resistor and the BLUE keyer lead from P1
I've seen a few examples where the 4K7 resistor is installed between pins 2 and 3 on the Raduino itself.  This eliminates the need for the green wire.

Jim Sheldon

That's the way it really should have been done Arvo, but still the connection to the "RING" on the key jack should be on the "TIP" instead.  I always put the resistor on the Raduino itself but the new folks are using the original instructions which have not been changed since I got my first uBITX way back before Christmas.  I mentioned this problem then and several times since.  Nothing has been done about it and now a whole new crop of over 1000 people have uBITX radios and are going to run into the same error.

I thought I should try and get it corrected again - at least show a picture of how it needs to be (if they follow the Wiring UP diagram).  I made up that little example (disregard the color code on the resistor I used (it isn't a 4.7K) for the example.

Jim - W0EB

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 06:25 am, Jim Sheldon wrote:
Nothing has been done about it and now a whole new crop of over 1000 people have uBITX radios and are going to run into the same error.
While I was looking at this morning it occurred it's only a problem if you use a key.

I don't know code. :-(

Oh, and I've seen a couple of comments about testing the current draw on the µB while assembling it, and concerns about it going into TX.  The way the instructions are written and illustrated, the Raduino is not installed during the current draw test, so it can't TX.  The B40 was different because the instructions included a current draw test for RX and TX.

Skip Davis

Jim you are correct the picture in the wire up is incorrect yet the explanation is correct for the proper operating of the Keyer jack. All of my straight keys are wired with stereo plugs with the tip to the contact and sleeve to frame. Attached is a photo of the notes I added to my wire up printout of the jack pins and functions..

Skip Davis NC9O

Alan Shapiro

How can the plugged in paddle work when only the tip (or ring) and ground of course,are connected?  Don't both tip and ring have to be wired?  What am I missing?

Jerry Gaffke

What you are missing are some resistors plus these comments from the Raduino source code file  ubitx_keyer.ino:

* CW Keyer
 *
 * The CW keyer handles either a straight key or an iambic / paddle key.
 * They all use just one analog input line. This is how it works.
 * The analog line has the internal pull-up resistor enabled.
 * When a straight key is connected, it shorts the pull-up resistor, analog input is 0 volts
 * When a paddle is connected, the dot and the dash are connected to the analog pin through
 * a 10K and a 2.2K resistors. These produce a 4v and a 2v input to the analog pins.
 * So, the readings are as follows :
 * 0v - straight key
 * 1-2.5 v - paddle dot
 * 2.5 to 4.5 v - paddle dash
 * 2.0 to 0.5 v - dot and dash pressed
 *
 * The keyer is written to transparently handle all these cases
 *

So there is one wire into the Raduino, but the voltage on that single wire
says if you have nothing going on, the straight key is pressed, or the dot or dash paddles are pressed.
Very clever.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work very well.  A little bit of dirt in your straight key contacts and the
resistance there can be enough that the Raduino things it's a dot paddle press.

Here's a hardware fix, your key tells a fet to turn on, which in turn switches the resistor network:
    https://qrpguys.com/ubitx-cw-conditioning-adapter
Some of the newer firmware releases have ways around this problem also.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 06:02 pm, Alan Shapiro wrote:
How can the plugged in paddle work when only the tip (or ring) and ground of course,are connected?  Don't both tip and ring have to be wired?  What am I missing?

ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...>

I'd add the diode should be after the fuse.

That protects the wires from being burnt up is there is reverse polarity.

One note: Clean the key contacts!  Seriously its a known problem since the telegraph days.
Bounce is a software issue but high resistance contacts should not be.  Its also a painless fix.

Allison

Al Woodhull

If you have a jack wired for a straight key you need another jack for the paddle.  Or you can make an adapter, which is what I did.
Sketch attached:

73,
Al, N1AW

Dexter N Muir

Seconded! and 90% of all electrical/electronic faults are at root actually mechanical!
73 all
ZL2DEX

scott.schillereff@...

Hi Al,
This looks like a clever way to avoid two jacks - well done.  One thing I don't follow on photo - your schematic has a mono plug at left (presumably to plug into the straight key jack), but the photo shows a stereo plug on left.  Can you please clarify?  I am just putting my uBitx in enclosure and would love to do this mod.
Thanks,
Scott VO1DR
St. John's, Newfoundland

Brian Bowling

Thanks very much for this info Jim.  Anyone know why the kit ships with a stereo jack at all if it only uses it as a mono?  Just a matter of price/cost?
--
73,

Brian - N8BDB

Jerry Gaffke

Pretty much all of the headphones available today are stereo.
Plug one of those into a mono jack and you only get one earfull

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 10:56 AM, Brian Bowling wrote:
Anyone know why the kit ships with a stereo jack at all if it only uses it as a mono?

Bob Lunsford <nocrud222@...>

Another problem with putting a mono plug into a stereo jack is
that the two circuits in the jack relate to ch1 and ch2 and by it
being a mono plug with no "ring" on it, one of the channels is
shorted out. This could damage the amp, depending on amp
design. Some designers put the two earphones in series and
some put them in parallel. The uBitX uses parallel earphone
connections.

You can use an adapter or just get a cheep set of earphones.
Check Dollar Tree for many of devices we frequently use. For
what they are, it's the cheapest way, I find. Even cheaper than
Walmart. I'm guessing Walmart will buy out Dollar Tree someday.

Bob — KK5R

To: BITX20@groups.io
Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 5:27 PM

Pretty much all of the
headphones available today are stereo.
Plug
one of those into a mono jack and you only get one
earfull

On
Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 10:56 AM, Brian Bowling wrote:

Anyone know why the kit ships with a stereo jack
at all if it only uses it as a mono?

Dexter N Muir

I'd guess cost. The same device has multiple uses: are you expecting audio out of a key jack?and propeer operation of a bug plugged into a 'straight key' jacvk? I'd venture the mono version is more expensive given less usage - and the only difference is what it's wired to. - and keeping them sorted into separate bins for the kit? Nightmare! Ambiguous color bands of resistors is quite enough to deal with! Far simpler to have the builder correctly connect *and label* them ... and a learning exercise for the newcomer :) A bit like plugging in the wrong loom.
73 and Hippie Gnu Yeah! from ZL2DEX :)

Jerry Gaffke

The question was "why the kit ships with a stereo jack?".
And I'd say the answer is "because all the earphones these days are stereo".

Wiring both sides of that jack in parallel is easier, because the barrel of the plug
can then be at ground potential.  Important if you have a metal chassis.
Wiring in series is an option (especially if the amp wants to see a relatively high impedance),
but means the stereo jack hardware must be insulated from the chassis somehow.

If you are one of the few that happens to have headphones (or anything else for that matter)
lying about with a 3.5mm mono plug, then could avoid shorting out the amp by including
a 4 ohm (or more) resistor in series with the audio line going from amp to jack.

I've tried Dollar Tree earbuds, they were inefficient (not loud enough) and sounded terrible.
I am terribly cheap, but spending $10 for Panasonic (HJE125 or HJE120)
or Sony (MDR-EX15LP)  brand earbud headphones seems money well spent.
If you want cheap over-the-ear headphones, maybe Koss branded KPH7's?

I'm using $12 Sony phones, the $10 Panasonic get higher ratings (not that my old ears would know).
The last ones are likely Koss in name only (can't imagine Koss builds them at $6),
but at least an Amazon search for them will then show you a lot of similar products to choose from.

Pick your price, can go as high as you want.
I recommend going higher than $1

Jerry, KE7ER

To: BITX20@groups.io
Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 5:27 PM

Pretty much all of the
headphones available today are stereo.
Plug
one of those into a mono jack and you only get one
earfull

On
Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 10:56 AM, Brian Bowling wrote:

Anyone know why the kit ships with a stereo jack
at all if it only uses it as a mono?

Jerry Gaffke

I go through headphones fairly quickly, will order a bunch of different ones to compare.

For cheap over the ear headphones, looks like Panasonic RP-HT21's rate better than the Koss KPH7's.
Not cool for the kids, but for us older folks they may prevent earwax buildup or something.

Jerry

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 07:45 PM, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
If you want cheap over-the-ear headphones, maybe Koss branded KPH7's?

Bob Lunsford <nocrud222@...>

One note on Dollar Tree earbuds. Don't use 'em. Don't even use
earbuds. They damage the hearing in the ears. I used to repair
audiometers and this is what the audio techs say. Best are over
the ear phones of "cans" because the have leakage around them
and do not force the audio into the ear. Best are those that are
comfortable but allow you to have some hearing from the room
and are not sealing the ear.

One ham in this area had to sell all his ham gear because he tried
everything with implants, etc., but he lost his hearing. He was/is
very unhappy about it. Next to losing one's vision, losing the hearing
is also bad. Listening to loud or unnatural sounds starts by making
it necessary to peak certain frequencies, starting from the upper
part of the spectrum.

I go to Dollar Tree to get cables and chargers, mostly. And spinach.

To: BITX20@groups.io

Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 5:27 PM

Pretty much all of the
headphones available today are stereo.
Plug
one of those into a mono
jack and you only get one
earfull

On
Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 10:56 AM, Brian Bowling
wrote:

Anyone know why the
kit ships with a stereo jack
at all if it
only uses it as a mono?

Bob Lunsford <nocrud222@...>

When I get some good over-the-ear phones, my wife squirrels them.
I use padded phones and usually they cost me $10-$20... For every
five I buy, I end up giving most away, it seems. The best phones I have
are Radio Shack phones I got in the early '70's. Got a good pair that
was pulled out of a High School language lab but it has a big 1/4-in
plug so this limits it for use on an IC-718. But it is good.

Seems headphones have a personality that fits or doesn't fit each
person. I can identify with Jerry saying that he goes through a
lot of them. Sounds like some people with their CW keys who are
always trying another key to see if they like it.

To: BITX20@groups.io
Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 11:11 PM

I go through headphones

wrote:

If you want cheap over-the-ear headphones, maybe
Koss branded KPH7's?

Jerry Gaffke

I can see blowing your hearing with earbuds if you like loud music.
Or you don't happen to have AGC on your rig.

If I can't sleep, I often listen to the BBC at night,
wake up in the morning with the earphones still on.
Occasionally with one side out due to a broken cord.
I keep using them till the other side goes out too.
Because I'm so cheap.
Used to then try to fix them.
But at $7 for a new pair, I'm no longer quite that cheap.

With earbuds, I do seem to get more earwax and itchy ears (minor infections?)
I should probably stick with over-the-ear phones like the Panasonic RP-HT21's,
Harder to roll over though.

Jerry, KE7ER