Topics

uBITX Version 4 first attempt #ubitx #ubitx-help

Bob Bennett

By posting to this group I can only assume that the original poster is more interested in a smear campaign than in finding resolution to his problem. As ham radio operators we are expected to be scientists with a lust for knowledge, enquery, and getting to the factual root of an issue. If you can’t get a QSO it is usually not your radio’s fault.

This is thread has spread like a virus. I assume that the original poster has gotten the messages and retreated. We can all put our swords back, retract our fangs, un-cock our muskets and sleep peacefully, knowing that the ham community has been saved by our ire and outrage.

73
nz2z

Andy V. Borisenko

gentlemen, the question is closed.
I connected the cheapest computer speakers with a built-in amplifier and sent a signal to them bypassing the amplifier uBitx.
I got a good audio.
and "A re-setting of the BFO should fix this" did not have to do with it.
You just need not use the audio amplifier in uBitx. he is no good at all.
for me it's a fact!
I will build and instal in uBitx a wonderful audio filter and audio amplifier QCX from QRP-Labs.
best regards to all!
Andy V. Borisenko RW9RN

Jerry Gaffke

Andy,

That sounds good, and my sincere congratulations on solving your issue.

Some of us did have a bit of fun with the direction you took with your original post
as a way of encouraging an attitude adjustment, hope that wasn't too offensive.
Many here enjoy solving problems with the radio more than we do operating it.

If you have trouble aligning the BFO or updating the Raduino for some new-fangled firmware
or getting some new mike to work  ..., don't hesitate to post questions here.
We will help as best we can.

Jerry

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 09:37 am, Andy V. Borisenko wrote:
gentlemen, the question is closed.
I connected the cheapest computer speakers with a built-in amplifier and sent a signal to them bypassing the amplifier uBitx.
I got a good audio.
and "A re-setting of the BFO should fix this" did not have to do with it.
You just need not use the audio amplifier in uBitx. he is no good at all.
for me it's a fact!
I will build and instal in uBitx a wonderful audio filter and audio amplifier QCX from QRP-Labs.
best regards to all!
Andy V. Borisenko RW9RN

Andy V. Borisenko

thank you Jerry.
I am a stutterer. SSB not intresting for me. but CW must be perfect!
Farhan has an engineering error in the audio amplifier. I do not speak English well enough to explain this in detail. I will say simply: do not use the built-in amplifier in this form. It's easier and cheaper to signal bypass, to an external audio amplifier. this can be done by sending a signal from the yellow (signal) through the condenser 47-100 microfarad and green (ground), to an external audio amplifier.
73! peace to all and cognac!

Jerry Gaffke

You definitely want to update the stock firmware for good CW operation.
Or at least drive the stock firmware with an external keyer of your choice.

Might be interesting to see what opinions are here about what firmware is best for CW.
It's a simple process to load new firmware into the Raduino using the Arduino IDE.

The uBitx is primarily an SSB rig, lack of QSK will make it less than ideal for CW.
I believe Farhan mostly uses a straight key when on CW, the logic within the
original stock keyer firmware was less than ideal.  Perhaps that firmware has been
improved on the recent v4 boards being shipped.

Jerry

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:53 am, Andy V. Borisenko wrote:
SSB not intresting for me. but CW must be perfect!

Andy V. Borisenko

I can load firmware. now I have CEC version 1.080. it is more convenient than the factory one. but in uBitx the manipulation for CW is done on the relay. when working on a vertical key, the first sign is shortened due to the switching time of the relay. just tried it. This is not good. I do not know, maybe you can use PTT, but I have not done it yet. it's nearly midnight, tomorrow at work. I'm sleeping :)

Jerry Gaffke

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 11:36 am, Andy V. Borisenko wrote:
I can load firmware. now I have CEC version 1.080. it is more convenient than the factory one. but in uBitx the manipulation for CW is done on the relay. when working on a vertical key, the first sign is shortened due to the switching time of the relay. just tried it. This is not good. I do not know, maybe you can use PTT, but I have not done it yet. it's nearly midnight, tomorrow at work. I'm sleeping :)

 When you first press the key, the Raduino senses this and turns on the relays to switch from
receive to transmit.  The Si5351 is written to with the operating freq in clk2.
The other two Si5351 clocks are shut down.  This should all happen within 5 milliseconds or so,
where a single dot at 40 wpm is 33 milliseconds wide.  So plenty responsive.

I'm not sure what the CEC firmware is doing, but it may be adding a delay to avoid
a loud pop in the received audio when switching from receive to transmit.
If present, perhaps such a delay is no longer needed, if the pop has been sufficiently
reduced with the v4 board, or if Kees' pop fix kit has been applied to the radio.

As I say, this is primarily an SSB radio.
But many are successfully using it for CW.

Jerry

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 11:36 am, Andy V. Borisenko wrote:
I can load firmware. now I have CEC version 1.080. it is more convenient than the factory one. but in uBitx the manipulation for CW is done on the relay. when working on a vertical key, the first sign is shortened due to the switching time of the relay. just tried it. This is not good. I do not know, maybe you can use PTT, but I have not done it yet. it's nearly midnight, tomorrow at work. I'm sleeping :)

Richard

Bob Bennett -

Unless I am reading this wrong - I am the original poster and I didn't smear a thing, so are you addressing this to someone else?  If not, it's clear you didn't read the post -  I asked 2 questions regarding my first build, and a bunch of people decided my post would be a nice place to turn into keyboard warriors, that being said.

Can anyone explain to me the method for calibrating a V4, about 58 comments back I listed the difference in the code used in the V4 Firmware, and it is clearly different?

--
Richard
KC7DDW

Arv Evans

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 12:30 pm, Richard wrote:
Richard   KC7DDW
It was not your message that started the flame burst.  In message 52499 another member hijacked your
topic and inserted the objectionable comments.  From that point on it seems that your request for help
just got lost in the rants and counter-rants.

Hopefully now that things have quieted down a bit someone can answer your query and help with the
problem.

Arv  K7HKL
_._

Arv Evans

Richard

It was not you.  In message 52499 someone hijacked your topic and caused all the flames.
Your original post got lost somewhere in the rants and counter-rants.
Things have died down a bit now so maybe someone can help you with the problem.

Arv
_._

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 1:36 PM Richard <richard@...> wrote:
Bob Bennett -

Unless I am reading this wrong - I am the original poster and I didn't smear a thing, so are you addressing this to someone else?  If not, it's clear you didn't read the post -  I asked 2 questions regarding my first build, and a bunch of people decided my post would be a nice place to turn into keyboard warriors, that being said.

Can anyone explain to me the method for calibrating a V4, about 58 comments back I listed the difference in the code used in the V4 Firmware, and it is clearly different?

--
Richard
KC7DDW
--
Richard
KC7DDW

Andy V. Borisenko

Richard, what is you version software now?

David Wilcox

Very interesting and humorous.

The DHL driver I talked to comes from a base 150 miles away and sometimes for only one or two packages.  He hates the companies that require a signature and told me he is glad Farhan's company does not require that.  Very jolly guy and we had a good talk.  I live in Traverse City, Michigan and his base is near Grand Rapids.

Dave K8WPE

On Jun 21, 2018, at 10:21 AM, Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:

I really can’t see how they can be packed any better. I have not heard of anyone who has received their bitx damaged until yours. That it just real poor luck.
As Carl said, this kit was packed incredibly well. I was surprised to see the plastic box inside the package, to be honest. I've ordered a LOT of stuff from overseas, including all too much stuff that arrived on a slow boat from China, and some of the most fragile stuff was packed in a wad of bubble-wrap in a plastic bag, not even a cardboard box! I got a charger for rechargeable lithium coin cells that took a month to arrive on a boat, and it was just the thin cardboard RETAIL box inside one of those black and white plastic overwrap bags Banggood uses. Frankly, I'm surprised it arrived in a single piece, much less functional.

The vast majority of shippers and delivery persons (including the U. S. Snail Postal Disservice) are good, honest people who do their work the best they can every day, even when it's difficult, even when the weather sucks, even when there's a hundred things they'd RATHER be doing with their day. As is inscribed on the James Farley Post Office in New York, "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds". It's not an official motto, but it might as well be. Most of the postal carriers I've met -- and being disabled, I have met nearly all of the ones that come to my door, as I'm always home -- are conscientious and take excellent care of my mail.

BUT...

Once in a while, I get one of THOSE postal carriers for whom that motto is something to scoff at. They don't live by that. Their motto seems to be "So long as I can sit on my bulbous butt in a little van and walk as little as possible, I'll try to get your crap to you eventually. But don't hold your breath if I have to get out of my damn van because ain't nobody got time for that." Most of the mail carriers who bring stuff to my house, if it's letters, will put them in the mailbox at the curb, but if it's parcels, will get out of the van, walk up to the porch, and put them either in front of my door or on the porch where they won't get rained on.

But the OTHER sort will DRIVE their van into my backyard, turn around, and either leave my packages on the BACK porch, where they don't have to get out of the van, leaving them to get soaked by rain, or will then pull up to the front porch and leave them on the TWO STEPS up, again, where they're not under the overhang of the porch and will get rained on. And heaven forfend I get a package that needs to be SIGNED for, and I get THAT mail carrier. Suddenly, I'll find a slip in my mailbox saying "Delivery attempted, no one home." Why? Because that fat slob was too lazy to get out of the van and bring the thing to my door and ring the bell. They'd rather just keep it in their van and claim nobody was there to sign for it, so the guy who gets it TOMORROW will have to get out of the van.

This guy is similar to the Amazon delivery person who'll mark it "Delivered - placed directly into the recipient's hands", even when you not only were home, but WAITING for the package on your PORCH. These yahoos are who the latest Amazon features, attaching a photo of the delivery location to your tracking info, and sending you a message when they are 10 stops away from your home so you can track them on a map, were implemented to catch. IF they honestly delivered it to the wrong house, you have a chance of identifying where they really took it, and you can WATCH to see if they actually came anywhere near your house when they said "Oh, I delivered that!" and DIDN'T.

Somewhere out there is a box of expensive hydrocolloid band-aids that someone got for free because the Amazon driver took it SOMEWHERE and put it "in someone's hands". It wasn't my hands, that's all I know.

But once in a great while, you run into the EVIL delivery person. They're the one that hates their job, hates the packages, hates the weather, hates their boss, and most of all, hates YOU for making them do that job delivering the packages in the weather because their boss TOLD them to. THAT delivery person is likely, if your delivery makes them do ANYTHING more than the bare minimum, to put the boot to your parcels or THROW them on the porch from about 20 feet away...or, if they're feeling particularly feisty, smack them onto your porch with a baseball bat. And woe betide the person who calls them out for doing this to their expensive packages, for that person shall receive NO package unstomped, no parcel unkicked, and no gift box unpeed.

So, if you have received ALL of your parcels from a given location in a destroyed condition, and NOBODY ELSE has this problem, the chances of you receiving kits that Ashhar just HAPPENED to feel like running through a hammer mill are slim and none, and Slim just left town. The chances are much higher that you got THAT delivery person and somehow ticked them off so they look for the parcels you want the most and beat them with their delivery van's fire extinguisher before they throw them overhand onto your porch, bouncing them off the wall before driving across your lawn on the way out.

Talk to your postmaster or the appropriate delivery service immediately if you receive damaged parcels. ESPECIALLY if parcels from a particular location arrive damaged OFTEN. For all we know, the guy who delivered your BitX kits has some beef with people from India and specifically mangles those parcels. Or you may have ticked them off somehow so they fold, spindle and mutilate anything sent to you just because you're SUCH a prince.

Bill Cromwell

Hi Dave and all,

Both of the ubitx kits here came to downstate Michigan via DHL and came the rest of the way via USPS. The terminal downstate was in the metro Detroit area. The first one took a couple of months (or slightly more). the second was more like two weeks.

My ubitx is living happily in a steel box I made for it.

73,

Bill KU8H

On Jun 21, 2018, at 10:21 AM, Gwen Patton <@NG3P
<mailto:@NG3P>> wrote:

[...]

bark less - wag more

Richard

Good Afternoon,

It appears all the opinions have faded - I have an update.  I purchased an Amazon LM386 mini amplifier, and  isolated it with a 100mF Electrolytic with the positive side towards the Transistor that is feed off the wiper of the volume pot-   And Voila-  the speaker is now loud enough to hear across the room, and it sounds nice,  I have now been able to hear SSB QSO's - however I still need assitance in the calibration technique for a V4 with factory Firmware-  Any tips on how to do it?    The little amp is pulling some stray RF and I can hear myself a little through the speaker - but I will work on that in a while...

Please understand the V3 Calibration process is different.
--
Richard
KC7DDW

Andy V. Borisenko

Richard, good afternoon!
note, there are many people here who consider themselves radio engineers. but no one gives you advice on calibration.
I'll try with my bad English to tell you how to properly calibrate.
for this, it is tedious to measure and record the true value of the BFO frequency in the file.
for this you need: a commercial transceiver (I have FT-2000), an Android smartphone and an installed program Audio Frequency Counter ( or any similar), piece of wire.
the transceivers warm up for 30 minutes.
in the commercial transceiver we set 25.000.00 and usb.
Instead of the antenna, we connect a piece of wire and bring it close to the raduino. a commercial transceiver we find a raduino tone. for example: i have 25.003 50. next the smartphone will measure the frequency of AUDIO speaker.
for example: freq in transceiver 25.003.500, audio freq 902 Hz. 25.003.500+902=25.004.402 this is the true frequency BFO you uBitx!!!
this frequency must be written in the firmware file name ubitx_si5351.ino
for example: here are my changes      #define SI5351BX_XTAL 25004402          // Crystal freq in Hz
this should be done with the help of the program arduino ide.
how to do it (and it's very simple) let him tell someone from the engineers who speak English better than me.
After that, the tuning and calibration of the transceiver will take several minutes.
good luck!

Andy V. Borisenko

let someone from the competent radio engineers check my method and tell here for everyone if it works.