Topics

uBITX Version 4 first attempt #ubitx #ubitx-help

Jamie Anderson

I haven't assembled my v4 kit I received a few weeks ago yet, but have been reading and planning for an upcoming build and am really excited.  I was hesitant at first about ordering the kit as I recognized it wouldn't be the same as going out and buying a FT-817 or something similar, but the passion and activity around this project brought me in.  I'm guessing I will have a working radio at the end of assembly if I do everything right and it might put out some power everywhere, might have decent audio, but overall that isn't the goal for me.  The goal for me is to understand more about radio and eventually customize the uBitx into the radio I want to use.  I haven't seen excitement around building a piece of electronics since the late 90's early 2000's when I jumped in to the guitar tube amp building community and started out not really understanding anything and ended up being reasonably competent at building, repairing, and even designing some amps over time.  I hope to understand the radio side of the uBitx through experimenting with my build and this discussion group and hope to hack a little with the Arduino side as I have a little experience there as well.  It is really an elegant design and I kind of like the simplicity of using mostly the same transistor throughout the circuit in rf and audio.

BTW, I have a FT-817 as well and it doesn't work out of the box either.  You might turn it on and hit a local repeater on 2 or 440 with the stock antenna, but to work HF you have to figure out antennas, tuners, power supplies, interface cabling for digital modes, etc.  I have had a blast with that used FT-817 as well and it cost way more than the uBitx even though I purchased it used.

Ashhar Farhan

I am reading this thread. I really have no comments except that there is no objective measurement or audio clip that i can comment upon. Hence let me make some general comments.
As old timers will testify, i never recommend, leave alone ship a circuit that i havent built at least twice and operated them on air for at least three or four mornings. I did extensive on-air tests as well as distortion measurements on the new  audio amplifier before shipping it out.
The thing that I have been unhappy about is that I had to reduce the overall gain. I took a decision to not revise the circuit too much but fix the excessive gain that can distort without the AGC. If we had the luxury of AGC, we could have lived with higher gain. The radio is now optimised to work well into 21 mhz. At 28 mhz, the gain is enough for headphone operations but speaker output will work only in a quite room.
I continue to use the v4 regularly with FT8 as well as local ragchew on 40 meters. I have asked production to ship me a latest batch board to test it out. This is just in case there has been a mistake in terms of change of component values. I will report. This back in a day.
- f

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018, 20:54 Jack Purdum via Groups.Io, <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
"...that it will be required by the builder to almost replace every component to make the rig work."

Bullcrap, and you know it!

"No one can expect a builder to rip out components and bodge the pcb to get it to work. This is not a user friendly board as it is all surface mounted and if you dont have good eye sight and the correct equipment then it will end up as a bin job!!"

More bullcrap. First, all 5 of mine worked "out of the box" and, add about three or four thousand more buyers who also have it working without mods, and I'm pretty sure you screwed something up. Second, I'm 75 with a sad excuse for eyesight, yet with a headset of magnifying lens, I've found that I can solder a 10-pin Si5351 chip the size of a match head onto a PCB. Have you even tried working with SMD parts? You knew before you bought the two rigs that they contained SMD parts and that many mods have been made. Sounds to me like you ignored your own research. Whose fault is that?

"I paid good money for a Bitx 40 and a Ubitx V3 and both were received damaged, a replacement Bitx was sent and that was also received damaged."

Evidently you didn't learn your lesson on the first one and should have paid the DHL fee on the second. I've purchase 5 units and everyone of them arrived in good shape, and the US is farther away the the UK. As someone once said: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". Seems to me to be sort of a "fool-me-once" situation on your part.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 9:57:33 AM EDT, Ray Koster via Groups.Io <raykoster=talktalk.net@groups.io> wrote:

I think that Andy is correct in thinking why he should have to do all these mods to this kit!! I also have purchased and built several kits in the past and have never had to do the scale of modifications that are now required to get this kit to work correctly. It was never disclosed on the HF signals website that it will be required by the builder to almost replace every component to make the rig work and be legal on the air.

Why are you Guy's sticking up for Farhan, when he does not come forward and hold his hands up and say that the kit should have never gone to market.If this was UK produced ,then Trading Standards would have closed HF Signals down long ago!!!

No one can expect a builder to rip out components and bodge the pcb to get it to work. This is not a user friendly board as it is all surface mounted and if you dont have good eye sight and the correct equipment then it will end up as a bin job!!

Also most builders do not have the correct test equipment to make tests to insure that after all these mod's, they are legal when on the air with this kit

My biggest beef about all this is that HF Signals cannot deliver a kit to me that is not damaged in the post and please dont tell me I have pissed of the postman, My postman is a nice guy and so are the staff at the sorting office and India to the UK is a very long way

I paid good money for a Bitx 40 and a Ubitx V3 and both were received damaged, a replacement Bitx was sent and that was also received damaged.

When I pay good money, I expect to receive the goods in a usable state and then I do not expect to have to then remove and replace most of the components at my expense, and probably have to wait weeks for these new components to come in, just to get it to work correctly

Firmware updates are acceptable as the nature of the code can led to bugs creeping in and this is a very easy thing to do and does not require butchery of the pcb

Ray Koster G7BHQ

Richard

Mr. Farhan,

I love the radio and I am enjoying the process of learning how more of this works as I go!  Sorry some people took my thread with 2 questions and turned it into a soapbox...

Can someone who has had luck with a V4 calibration using the stock firmware lend me a little advice?  In my original questions, I explained my confusion!

Thanks.
Rich
--
Richard
KC7DDW

Kunjani Ol <loot@...>

W8TEE has summed things up well.
I wouldn't have used such a polite term as bullcrap!
As for trading standards closing him down if he had been in the uk, totally delusional, trading standards can READ.

As for the post and breaking, I get parcels from the east nearly every day, I order quite often from FoxDelta in India, and I have three uBITX, and the only thing I have had damaged in transit in the last few yeaRS was an Icom 736 totally destroyed by UPS, a local delivery.

It reminds me of the drunk in the room saying "everyone in here is drunk, they are all swaying"

Ashhar Farhan

Rick,
I will try to record a video of how to do it.
- f

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018, 21:59 Richard, <richard@...> wrote:
Mr. Farhan,

I love the radio and I am enjoying the process of learning how more of this works as I go!  Sorry some people took my thread with 2 questions and turned it into a soapbox...

Can someone who has had luck with a V4 calibration using the stock firmware lend me a little advice?  In my original questions, I explained my confusion!

Thanks.
Rich
--
Richard
KC7DDW

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

I don't believe HFSignals is responsible for the post office's shoddy handling of packages entrusted to them. So lets just submit the proper insurance claim to the post office and get on with our lives. The package I received was a package inside a package inside a package. I almost had to get out my power saw just to open it. Comments about your postal people redacted.

I made a neat little steel box for my ubitx V3 to live in. It lives there and I am using it as delivered. I will probably wade into a software update to get a couple of features I might like that are not in the stock software. Costs nothing. If I don't like it I can revert back to the original.

Once again..I am using the ubitx V3 as delivered. No butchering. No modifications required. I am *using* it. As-is. No mods required. No mods desired. No butchering. No bodges. That is what is advertised, "Works out of the box". Modifications? The mods I see other hams doing are things they *wanted* to do. Not things they have to do. If you wanted some other radio then you should have bought some other radio to start with. And to think you could have bought a *real* radio for only $5000 and been disappointed with that! Owners of those radios have little complaints too. Read the messages on their lists:)

The only sympathy I can muster for you is your incredible bad luck with your postal service.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 06/20/2018 09:57 AM, Ray Koster via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

bark less - wag more

Michael P. Rioux

Ashhar,

Thank you for producing the uBitx!

After reading this thread I can’t help but think that some folks will complain about a free meal. The rig is described and marketed correctly.
It has some warts, but that is to be expected with the compromises one makes to produce a $120 radio.

I had $120 expectations for the rig, but your radio has given me much more than that. I am learning a lot about the design of modern
computer controlled radios. As a retired software developer I am also having a lot of fun modifying the firmware and learning.

Between you and Dr. Lee, a lot of great experiences are being had by many people around the world. You should be proud of that.

Thanks!
73, Mike W1USN

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Michael P. Rioux, CISSP-ISSEP

On Jun 20, 2018, at 11:52 AM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

[...]

Vince Vielhaber

You guys whining about doing mods to your Bitx radios amaze me. When I bought my Collins (KWS-1 & 74A-4 and still have them) the manuals came with all the mods the factory said should be done and that the original owner did, just like most of the other owners did. Collins had mods, and you think a Bitx kit radio shouldn't? I'd say more but I'd probably get a nasty note from Arv.

Vince.

On 06/20/2018 03:12 PM, Bill Cromwell wrote:
[...]

Arv Evans

Vince

Hope i am not that hypercritical!

Arv
_-_

--
   Michigan VHF Corp.   http://www.nobucks.net/   http://www.CDupe.com/
                           http://www.metalworkingfun.com

Vince Vielhaber

Not at all, but you would've been if I actually said what I was thinking!

Vince.

On 06/20/2018 03:51 PM, Arv Evans wrote:
[...]

Hi Vince,

Some of us can try to read between the lines :) I hade to edit certain things out of my reply too.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 06/20/2018 04:03 PM, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
[...]

Doug W

While I am usually one of the first to defend the µBITX, I think we are letting the boys in Hyderabad off the hook too easily.  There are some glaring misstatements if not outright lies on their website.  For example, the very first line on the HF Signals website states "Build the µBITX transceiver in an evening".  This is a complete misrepresentation.  I built mine in the MORNING and it works better than expected.  What are they trying to pull?  These charlatans go on to claim "with features you demand for operating ease".  How dare they imply I am demanding.  If I want to operate without ease that is my business.  Perhaps the most glaring falsehood from these hucksters is the claim that the µBITX "Lets you Explore the World".  While I've been able to complete QSO's with operators on 6 continents with a stock board I am yet to log Antarctica.  Don't give me this Oceania nonsense, you promised I could explore the world and I expect, nay demand all of the world from this rig.  Don't get me started on how I've only been able to work 49 of 50 US states on this "quality" product.  I could go on and on but I have to write an angry letter to McDonald's.  I just found out those cheap fraudsters do not use any bluefin tuna in their so called filet-o-fish sandwich.
--
www.bitxmap.com

Ray Koster

It would be nice if I had ever received a kit that was not damaged in the post...I would Suggest Ashhar Farhan, that you read the rest of the thread

Ray Koster

They sold the kits, who else should I blame for damage in transit?

Ray Koster

Please dont comment if you have nothing better to add, a destroyed IC736....haha thats sad!!!

Ray Koster

Please dont be so insulting towards my comments...you may think your the god of the Bitx community and of the arduino world but there are many out there that just keep working away to build and get going projects. We normally dont pass comments because when we do, people like you just disect the posts and turn them into something that they are not...B***C**P is hardly a term to be used on here

Doug W

Ray before you send messages to the thousands of users on this list I would suggest you learn how to include at least a portion of the message you are replying to.  You just sent four messages in a row that appear to be responses to other posts.  Without including something from the post in question you are just aimlessly ranting.
--
www.bitxmap.com

Ray Koster

Is it or is it NOT Farhan's company?....he does little it seems, other than popup now and again on here, my local postal people have nothing to do with the poor way these kits are packed !! I doubt that this kit would pass Ofcom spec's with regards to harmonic suppression.. Stop defending Farhan...let him answer the questions here

oz1lqb@...

Hi to all..
Ray i have received 4 kits in the last 2 month all in perfect condition..
they all works just fine..
i dont now about you but the reason i got to be a ham was to experiment and the BITX40 and uBITX is for me the perfect platform to do that
and i think that most off the people fells the same
last but not lest i have been a experimenting ham for 32 years and Farhan's kits has been for me the ideal kit at a price i like
Vy 73 De OZ1LQB / Claus

Arv Evans

Blame your own country postal or package delivery service.
_._