Topics

ubitx version 3 construction info files

Tech Guy

I finally have a place to work on my ubitx version 3.  Where can I find the connection information?  I don't see it on hfsignals.com anymore.  I remember there were a lot of mods and fixes for this version but I never had a good place to work on it till now.  73's-
John N4HNO

Biju Apkrcl

Search in Google

On Fri, 22 May 2020, 08:51 Tech Guy, <tech48055@...> wrote:
I finally have a place to work on my ubitx version 3.  Where can I find the connection information?  I don't see it on hfsignals.com anymore.  I remember there were a lot of mods and fixes for this version but I never had a good place to work on it till now.  73's-
John N4HNO

Evan Hand

John,

For the type of information that you are requesting, I would go to the ubitx.net site.  That seems to have the most information on older uBiTx models.  Be sure to check out the "FIX" section, as there is an article on the v3 audio issues with both ways to prevent as well as fix the TDA2822 issues with that version.  You will also need to do the "Spectral Purity" sections, as the versions before v5 have harmonics and spurs problems.  The harmonic issues require relay replacement.  The spurs issues are not as clear, there are multiple choices.  I am not operating either of my 2 v4 boards above 18 MHz, so I have not done the spur modifications.  The checks on my 2 v4 boards have confirmed the relay replacement as a fix for harmonics, as well as having the spurs above 18 MHz, not below.

As to wiring, there is not a specific v3, though the v4 wire up is the same. This page is still active, with the links to wiring and tune-up:
https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx/

Experience has shown me (and others on this board) that building the rig in the stock form first is best.  Get it working as designed.  This is also the easiest for others to provide help.  Once it is working, then start the upgrades based on what you want and how you plan to use your new uBiTx.  Research and plan before starting down the upgrade path.  It is also possible to ask about a planned upgrade here to get the opinions of others to help in your choices.

There is information on this board, though it is difficult to find at times,  You could search the files and wiki sections.  There is also a search feature of the messages on this board, though that is by title and tags only, so somewhat limited.

If you run into any issues, I would recommend posting the details on this board.  Letting us know what test equipment you have can also help with the recommendation if testing is required.

The above are just suggestions.  Have fun in the build and subsequent upgrades!
73
Evan
AC9TU

Curt

I see Evan has pointed you to instructions at hfsignals, that apply if you use a self supplied case. If you happen to have a case from amateuradiokits.in there are additional instructions involved. I concur to build without mods initially.  after that, then consider necessary harmonic mods and other optional mods. Enjoy the build journey, be patient. Its a bit more homebrew than a typical kit, except for beginning with assembled boards.

73 curt wb8yyy

Evan Hand

Good catch Curt!
I did not think of the AmatureRadioKits (even though I did repackage all of my uBiTx in one of them after first installed in a hacked project box of some kind).  That does change the wire up.  The tune-up would still be the same.

It is also one of the reasons to include as much information as possible about the exact build when asking for help.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Tech Guy

I have a few different repurposed  enclosures I might use. I am mostly interested in 40/20. I just have been away for awhile and wanted to find a package of wiring and fixes instead of running down many separate links. I found the version 4 page so I will get the basic unit going before trying mods and fixes. I just remember how much was posted daily when it was current. Thanks