Topics

[uBITx V6] #v6 Noobie Big Picture Overview doc #v6

Andy_501

Hello folks,

Attached is draft Noobie guide pdf version for comments/improvements. If my bricked rig solution is repairable using software re-install I will add that procedure to end as well. I'd like to include similar details to get access and control of software fom laptop like memory manager and internal software settings as well but current tech info is so scattered and scarce I could use a bit of an assist from anyone else to enhance what I have already.

The YouTUbe video was somewhat helpful but it referred to uploading code then doing hardware resets and this rig doesn't have such a button and only reset available is power up/down sequencing unless one can go through USB comm port.

The same was true using Xloader it would talk to the USB port to upload but no further controls to reset other than a power recycle of the whole unit after removing USB connection.

All comments &/or suggestions are appreciated and I will put final version out as an attachment also.

Thanks

Andy

Don - KM4UDX

Andy -- good work and well written.  One thought: the discussion of Arduino IDE might be best moved back from the lead.  Most Noobies need the context of all this, and the IDE / code discussion could be placed in a section following some overview and context.

But great!  Well done.

Bob Bennett

Don,
   I agree with you. I have been trying to reload the Arduino sketch from Windows, Linux, raspberry pi, and MacOS and have not been successful with any. Strange thing, is that the errors I get on the different operating systems are not all the same. A real discussion for noobies would help us.
--
Bob
NZ2Z

Bob Bennett

Can you add a little more about uploading the sketch? For example: does one have to separately add the libraries like EEPROM, wire and the other #includes?
--
Bob
NZ2Z

Andy_501

Thanks for the input Don,

I was a volunteer license examiner a while back and a few of the chaps that did self study (no organized formal courses) all came through with pass marks of 90% or better which gave them full HF privileges.

They had all just contacted me out of the blue via email to write the exam; I put together a review package ,and made myself available as a sort of elmer, for them and put the review package  zip file on the Google drive with  a link for them to review and then we set up appointment date to write.

I have managed to keep in touch with them all . Being just newbies of course looking for an HF rig at a decent price point became the focus of the day.

One chap was only 14 yrs old and smart as a whip. He was interested in drones, robotics, coding and many aspects of the ham hobby. He keeps in touch with me and at this point is in the process of studying to write the Fed Govt UAV pilot's exam (as I did and hence I am a pseudo elmer to him for that also) so he can continue flying his drones.

When I sat down to write up this big picture article, I recalled a discussion with the young lad about coding; hence my pdf write up here was kind of organized to fit his mindset to learning coding and at the same time  appeal to his interest in HF as well. Sort of another way to keep his interest in the hobby up long term until he was in a position to afford a full blown high power HF station.

aside: {I'd much rather see youth engaged and involved in church basements, community clubrooms , cadet comm squadrons, or after school programs learning practical skills and knowledge in these areas than hanging out on street corners, malls and other dark places. There is only a finite limited number of spots available in the NBA hihi.}

In short the doc was organized to kind of fit that lad's mindset and learning approach with a secondary goal in the back of my mind to be able to customize it to fit into a lesson plan of an advanced license course to go along with using a ubitx transceiver kit as part of a practical lab course's needed supplies list as it were. One doesn't want to be spending endless hours of valuable paid for classroom time just trying to get the kit power to turn on; if you get my drift.

Maybe once I get this doc filled out with the last bits of info on troubleshooting, diagnostics, & using memory manager, system manager & software settings adjustments (I don't know how many times I have mentioned in posts the need for info on these items yet no related posts explaining steps to accessing & using these specific software applications have appeared) I will split the doc into two parts:

                            1. that focuses on many developer  environments eg C, C++, Java, Javascript, & Arduino IDE generally, with specific details on using Arduino IDE with                             uBITx kits,  as well as some extra info on coding and compiling developer environments included within linux OS's and;

                                   2. a description that will explain in simple terms exactly what a noobie can expect when they open the box and assemble the kit themselves outside of a classroom led environment.( more tailored to someone getting a kit and just using a forum like uBITx groups.io mail list) to self study.

cheers and thanks again

73, Gud DX de VE4PER Andy

On 2020-01-08 9:27 a.m., Don - KM4UDX wrote:
Andy -- good work and well written.  One thought: the discussion of Arduino IDE might be best moved back from the lead.  Most Noobies need the context of all this, and the IDE / code discussion could be placed in a section following some overview and context.

But great!  Well done.

Martin Potter

More power to you, Andy! Thanks for everything that you are doing for the hobby and for the youngsters around you.

Very 73,
... Martin VE3OAT

Dennis Beverage

This is exactly why we don’t need to split up the forum into version groups.  Nice piece of work Andy.
--
Sodypop🤠