Topics

uBitX V6 only transmits double sideband

Jeff Debes

Hi,
Anyone have insight as to why my uBitX V6 only transmits double sideband ?
Also only receiving both sidebands I beleive.
It seems to work ok otherwise.
If It defective I want to send it back.
Thanks
Jeff AC2 JB

from my iPhone

--
*jeff.debes@...*

Arv Evans

Jeff  AC2JB

Carrier imbalance and/or unbalanced mixer/modulator could be problems.
Improper BFO versus carrier settings can cause this problem.  Try redoing
the frequency alignment steps.

How are you determining that it is DSB and not SSB?  When you tune your
uBITX V6 across a weak carrier, can you hear carrier on both sides of
zero-beat, or just on one side?

What hardware mods have you installed?
What software mods have you installed?
Did it ever work properly?
When did the problem occur?

Arv K7HKL
_._

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 11:09 AM Jeff Debes <jeff.debes@...> wrote:
Hi,
Anyone have insight as to why my uBitX V6 only transmits double sideband ?
Also only receiving both sidebands I beleive.
It seems to work ok otherwise.
If It defective I want to send it back.
Thanks
Jeff  AC2 JB

from my iPhone

--
*jeff.debes@...*

Jeff Debes

Thanks for the reply Arv!

Just got it assembled yesterday.
I made an ECARS  contact this morning
and the operator said that I was transmitting a double sideband signal.
I’m confused about how/where to find specific uBitX  V6  setup instructions.

Jeeze, I could write up more accurate assemble directions myself. I know that the uBitX kits are low cost but clear directions would save a whole lot of  frustration and repeat questions and improve the view of these kits. Its documentation QC is lacking.

Most likely I have at least one thing setup
the wrong way.

On hardware or software installed:
No other hardware installed, no software. Its just as it came in the mail.
It always ( for the 15 hours i've had it operating) has receive tuned both sidebands one  unintelligible but as audible in sound as the other,   and  I assume has been transmitting on both sidebands.
Thanks again for responding.
I’ve written HF Sigs to ask questions, give feedback....... they should hear it also.

Jeff

On May 27, 2020, at 1:25 PM, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

[...]

Evan Hand

Jeff,
Other than shipping, missing parts, or physical damage, all support for the uBiTx products is on this message board.  All are volunteers, so I would suggest that you take that into consideration.  This keeps the overhead costs down for HFSignals, and the price of the rig.  There are thousands of years of radio experience on this board.  A number did it as a profession.  Because it is via email like communication, it can take longer than a phone call, however, there is a high success rate on problem-solving with this process.

Here are two links that could help in the calibration and configuration of the v6:
First the directions from Ashhar Farhan one of the originators of HF Signals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6LGXhS4_O8
Here is the BFO tuning aid that is discussed in the above video:
https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/bfo-tuning-aid/

The above solves most of the problems that you describe.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Paul KL7FLR

Jeff,
Watch this YouTube video. From the designer of the uBitxv6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6LGXhS4_O8&feature=youtu.be

Paul KL7FLR

Arv Evans

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 11:57 AM Jeff Debes <jeff.debes@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you Evan!
Will read and try!

Jeff

On May 27, 2020, at 3:43 PM, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

Jeff

There is quite a bit of documentation available.  If you have trouble
understanding some of the more technical parts, just ask specifically
about it here on this discussion group.  Many persons are available
and willing to provide explanations, comments, bad info, and so on.
8-)

http://ubitx.net/  This and below may not be about version-6, but still
an interesting read.

This series just goes on, and on, and on...........
Keep incrementing the page number in the URL.

Arv
_._

[...]

Thanks everyone for the suggestions:

So I followed the Ashar Farhan  alignment video as best I could and I can tune in WWV at 10 mhz precisely zero beating the signal.
I’m not at a place where I have access to a PC.
On sideband, in  tuning an upper or lower SSB signal, the receive switching either USB or LSB makes no difference, both tune the same I can copy well on either. That does not  seem  right.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

I read all remarks and I do realize this is a very low cost radio, yet I am disappointed that documentation is not better. If it were, this forum would have fewer questions to answer.

I own a KX3 Elecraft and enjoy that , but  this rig is a far cry from the quality or ease of use of that much more complex radio, yet the KX3 kit assembly was precise, clear, and worked first time.  Likewise every Small Wonder Labs kit I‘ve  built has been fine even with much more complex assembly or tuning  involved.

Jeff
AC2JB

On May 27, 2020, at 4:33 PM, Jeff Debes via groups.io <jeff.debes@...> wrote:

[...]

What part of the documentation did you have trouble with?  We can improve it
only if we know where the problems might be.

I think you said you could write better documentation...?  Are you volunteering?

Arv
_._

On May 27, 2020, at 4:33 PM, Jeff Debes via groups.io <jeff.debes=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Jack, W8TEE

Hmmm...let's see...$1,271.60 versus $200, yet you expect them to be the same?

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 9:19:18 PM EDT, Jeff Debes <jeff.debes@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, in part that is what I did for a living .
That and human factors/ operability in product design.
I might volunteer do do that.
Jeff

On May 27, 2020, at 9:32 PM, Jack, W8TEE via groups.io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:

[...]

Jack, no, I don’t expect the same quality in the HFSigs as in my KX2.
( I said mistakenly KX3, but have the KX2)
Jeff

On May 27, 2020, at 9:52 PM, Jeff Debes via groups.io <jeff.debes@...> wrote:

[...]

That would be great! I've done some writing, too, and I know it's not easy, but I also know a lot of people would appreciate it.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 9:52:36 PM EDT, Jeff Debes <jeff.debes@...> wrote:

[...]

Reed N

Hi Jeff,

Are you saying that you can hear a SSB transmission using either side band mode? WWV is an AM signal, so it would make sense that you would be able to hear it on both side bands.

I know that I could tune my BFO in some weird ways to get cross-sideband outputs. Perhaps try adjusting your BFO either higher or lower than what sounds nice? I found that I had to make mine a bit tinny to keep the carrier and opposite side band suppressed.

Reed

Jeff Debes

Thank you Reed. That is helpful.
This seems like a pitfall that should have been documented or warned against if the rig is improperly adjusted.
On if I listed to WWV on USB and LSB:
No, I did mean that actual SSB ham signals tune exactly the same if setting is USB or LSB.

On May 27, 2020, at 10:03 PM, Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Are you saying that you can hear a SSB transmission using either side band mode? WWV is an AM signal, so it would make sense that you would be able to hear it on both side bands.

I know that I could tune my BFO in some weird ways to get cross-sideband outputs. Perhaps try adjusting your BFO either higher or lower than what sounds nice? I found that I had to make mine a bit tinny to keep the carrier and opposite side band suppressed.

Reed

--
jeff.debes@...

Niels Jalling

Hi Jeff

When shifting from LSB to USB or from USB to LSB you have to move the VFO frequency a little because just pressing the LSB or USB icons does not change the BFO frequency so when listening to a station you don't hear any change.

I don't know if this small error has been fixed in the latest version of the software.

73 de oz9ny, Niels

Reed N

That's an excellent point, Niels! Another issue I fixed in my build (and thus didn't think about), but the stock software does require the knob to be turned to force the sideband switch, and could easily explain Jeff's issue.

Reed

Jeff Debes

Neils, Reed,

Thank you!
Well that info makes me feel better about it.

I’ll do a full tune up at my home QTH.
I’m ordering that microphone. ( thanks for the info)
Even with my crude initial adjustment of the radio i’ve manage five contacts in a few hours of use.
I have only a wire inverted V at this location.

So, what about highlighting the band buttons when they are actuated . Has anyone tried to implement that fix/improvement?

Jeff

On May 28, 2020, at 3:37 AM, Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:

That's an excellent point, Niels! Another issue I fixed in my build (and thus didn't think about), but the stock software does require the knob to be turned to force the sideband switch, and could easily explain Jeff's issue.

Reed

--
jeff.debes@...

Ashhar Farhan

jeff, the band buttons don't make sense for an essentially general coverage transceiver like the ubitx.
let me illustrate: i start on 40 m, start tuning up, then i tune past 7.3 to 7.350 to listen to Radio Peking. What should the band switch read? What happens if i tune to 12 Mhz?
regard the band switches are 'jump to' short cuts to tuning to your favourite bands.
73, f

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 2:32 PM Jeff Debes <jeff.debes@...> wrote:
[...]

Ashhar, Thanks for the reply!
Yes , I see your point, it’s valid,  but it would be nice to at least to see the button highlight only when pushed to confirm that a touch event has occurred.

Other weird Issues puzzling to me :
the USB and LSB buttons don't do anything at all on my radio.
TON button turns on tone and the only way to stop the tone is to   power off and on. Same with WPM

I hope  it is all a matter of setup/alignment  issue. My understanding of the radio is rudimentary.

Thanks again.
Jeff